Squid QoS with priority to hosts taking little bandwidth - squid

This is a discussion on Squid QoS with priority to hosts taking little bandwidth - squid ; Hello, I have a quick Squid question. I have a network which has a Squid proxy in it. I searched over the Internet, looked at Squid FAQ and Wiki, looked on many forums and still couldn't find the solution to ...

  1. Squid QoS with priority to hosts taking little bandwidth

    Hello,

    I have a quick Squid question. I have a network which has a Squid
    proxy in it. I searched over the Internet, looked at Squid FAQ and
    Wiki, looked on many forums and still couldn't find the solution to
    this problem.

    I would like to have users access the Internet through Squid based on
    their usage. The more they use the proxy, the less bandwidth they will
    be allocated. I tried using delay pools, but I couldn't find any acl
    that would support measuring the quantity of data transferred over the
    wire. I would like to say something like: OK, you transferred 1 MB,
    now you link speed will not be 10KB/s as till now, but will be reduced
    to 8KB/s. When you transfer 10 MB, you will be reduced to 7 KB/s. When
    you transfer 20 MB, you will be reduced to 5 KB/s. I don't exactly
    need such control, but general reduce of the allocated bandwidth to
    that user (computer/IP/MAC/whatever other that describes the user).

    The intention is that small objects and users that transfer small
    amount of data (e.g. just browsing or downloading icons or small
    pictures and such) should be given more bandwidth than users
    transferring more data (e.g. users downloading DVD ISO images ~4 GB).
    Is this possible using Squid? This would stop people from using
    different sorts of download accelerators - the more they download (per
    second, hour, day, month - whatever possible), the less bandwidth they
    will receive and finally they will have download times that are
    unacceptable or - better - that are acceptably long so other users
    will not notice their limited download rates.

    I am using Squid 2.6.

    DT

  2. Re: Squid QoS with priority to hosts taking little bandwidth

    On Mar 31, 7:06 pm, "dt" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a quick Squid question. I have a network which has a Squid
    > proxy in it. I searched over the Internet, looked at Squid FAQ and
    > Wiki, looked on many forums and still couldn't find the solution to
    > this problem.
    >
    > I would like to have users access the Internet through Squid based on
    > their usage. The more they use the proxy, the less bandwidth they will
    > be allocated. I tried using delay pools, but I couldn't find any acl
    > that would support measuring the quantity of data transferred over the
    > wire. I would like to say something like: OK, you transferred 1 MB,
    > now you link speed will not be 10KB/s as till now, but will be reduced
    > to 8KB/s. When you transfer 10 MB, you will be reduced to 7 KB/s. When
    > you transfer 20 MB, you will be reduced to 5 KB/s. I don't exactly
    > need such control, but general reduce of the allocated bandwidth to
    > that user (computer/IP/MAC/whatever other that describes the user).
    >
    > The intention is that small objects and users that transfer small
    > amount of data (e.g. just browsing or downloading icons or small
    > pictures and such) should be given more bandwidth than users
    > transferring more data (e.g. users downloading DVD ISO images ~4 GB).
    > Is this possible using Squid? This would stop people from using
    > different sorts of download accelerators - the more they download (per
    > second, hour, day, month - whatever possible), the less bandwidth they
    > will receive and finally they will have download times that are
    > unacceptable or - better - that are acceptably long so other users
    > will not notice their limited download rates.
    >
    > I am using Squid 2.6.
    >
    > DT

    Hello everyone!

    I am looking for the exactly same solution, to lower download rates
    for those users who exceed a specific limit. For example if a user has
    exceeded his quota his download rate will fall down to 4Kb/sec?

    Anyway to do this using squid?

    If not, how can I get bandwidth use information for a user for a
    period of time using squid logs?

    Regards,

    Ali

  3. Re: Squid QoS with priority to hosts taking little bandwidth

    I don't know how you could do that with Squid.

    But this is what I do with safesquid:
    Safesquid provides a mechanism for profiled Internet Access.
    So I can create 'N' number of profiles and then apply or immunize one
    or more filters and rules, to that profile.
    One of the parameters available for defining profiles is HTTP request
    header patterns.
    So if I wanted to reduce the QoS to requests of a particular size
    range, I could create a profile for Content Length, and then I could
    ensure that people downloading content of specific size would get a
    maximum speed of "x" kb/s
    Profiling can be done on other parameters too, like url, mime-type,
    hostname, etc. or even username.
    So, if you simply wanted to throttle QoS for downloads of specific
    types, you could surely do it, with safesquid.

    But if you wanted safesquid to reduce your speed, because you have
    downloaded over "x" bytes, the answer is "NO". But you can surely deny
    access to a user who has downloaded over x bytes.

    Cheers
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread