squid error - squid

This is a discussion on squid error - squid ; I have RH9 with squid installed linux server.we have 256kbps leased line.In this linux server around 50 systems with win2Kprof connected with .Browsing is going on smoothly. Yesterday suddenly all the clients could not able to browse. In linux I ...

  1. squid error

    I have RH9 with squid installed linux server.we have 256kbps leased
    line.In this linux server
    around 50 systems with win2Kprof connected with .Browsing is going on
    smoothly.
    Yesterday suddenly all the clients could not able to browse. In linux I
    confirmed Internet connection was there.

    I gave the command service squid status .It replies

    squid dead but subsys locked
    squid :ERROR.Not running copy

    After sometime i gave same service squid status
    then it replies 'squid(pid5221 5210) is running squid : Error No
    running copy'

    What is this problem.
    How to eliminate and correct

    Please reply

  2. Re: squid error

    >I gave the command service squid status .It replies
    >squid dead but subsys locked
    >squid :ERROR.Not running copy
    >After sometime i gave same service squid status
    >then it replies 'squid(pid5221 5210) is running squid : Error No
    >running copy'
    >What is this problem.
    >How to eliminate and correct

    For some reason your Squid server stopped working. Try restarting your
    linux server, if Squid fails to start, take a look at the log files
    (usually in /var/log/squid) and see if you can find a cause there.
    Common causes include no working internet connection, cache or log disk
    with no free space, but it could be anything of course..

  3. Re: squid error

    Thank u for ur nice reply.

    You said some common causes.
    Internet connection is there , Using iptables it is working fine.

    We use iptables as well as squid.Squid stopped by giving this above
    problems.

    So iptables helped this peculiar time

    can you explain more about 'no free space' and how to check cache? how
    to clear and what are the logs for squid working?

    Thanks in advance

  4. Re: squid error

    >can you explain more about 'no free space' and how to check cache? how
    >to clear and what are the logs for squid working?

    Check the available disk space on the host with a 'df -H' on a console.
    You should have at least 90% free disk space on the partition with your
    cache. Also, make sure the drive containing the log-files has enough
    free space. You might want to check your /etc/squid.conf for the
    location of your cache and log-files.

    Also, most errors are logged in a couple of log-files. These are
    usually in /var/log/squid, although it might be different on your
    system (i'm not a RedHat user). Check the most recent logs, they should
    contain errormessage(s). If you post those messages here I might be
    able to give you a clue about what is causing squid to fail.

    Regards,

    Jasper

  5. Re: squid error

    >You should have at least 90% free disk space on the partition with your
    >cache.

    Sorry, this should be 10% of course

+ Reply to Thread