Hello all. I am running Squid in a medium size environment and have
been seeing some proxy failures. I am running RedHat Enterprise Server
4.0 with squid version squid-2.5.STABLE6-3.4E.11. Follows is an
example. I've got three sites doing this at this point. I have tried
to acl them to allow_direct but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

The url is: http://www.baylor.edu/alumni/splash.php

The squid response is:

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to process the request:

GET /alumni/splash.php HTTP/1.0
Accept: */*
Referer: http://www.baylor.edu
Accept-Language: en-us
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;
..NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Host: www.baylor.edu

The following error was encountered:

Invalid Response
The HTTP Response message received from the contacted server could not
be understood or was otherwise malformed. Please contact the site
operator. Your cache administrator may be able to provide you with more
details about the exact nature of the problem if needed.