Authentication best practises - squid

This is a discussion on Authentication best practises - squid ; Hello everyone We've implemented Squid in our network with NTLM authentication and winbind authentication helper. So authentication process is transparent to our users which is great thing. On the other hand we have problem with users that don't log to ...

  1. Authentication best practises

    Hello everyone
    We've implemented Squid in our network with NTLM authentication and
    winbind authentication helper. So authentication process is transparent
    to our users which is great thing. On the other hand we have problem
    with users that don't log to our domain (e.g guests from other company
    sites). I would like to avoid creating domain accounts for such users,
    but if I won't do this they are not able to use Internet. Is there any
    workaround for this e.g creating account on proxy server instead of
    domain account ?
    I would be greatful for any clue
    thx in advance.

  2. Re: Authentication best practises

    Hi
    I would set up basic authentication for users not authenticated on the
    NTLM system, then have a guest username and password to allow them
    access.

    --
    DaveG
    Sk°yen - Oslo - Norway

    On 12/01/2006 sworzynskister@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello everyone
    > We've implemented Squid in our network with NTLM authentication and
    > winbind authentication helper. So authentication process is
    > transparent to our users which is great thing. On the other hand we
    > have problem with users that don't log to our domain (e.g guests from
    > other company sites). I would like to avoid creating domain accounts
    > for such users, but if I won't do this they are not able to use
    > Internet. Is there any workaround for this e.g creating account on
    > proxy server instead of domain account ?
    > I would be greatful for any clue
    > thx in advance.

  3. Re: Authentication best practises

    Dear sworzynskister

    I guess if those people that are not currently logged on the domain,
    can get authenticated using "DOMAIN\USERNAME" with the domain username
    and password.
    I don't know if you mean it.

    Regards

+ Reply to Thread