Greetings,

I've been using squid for years on end in my home network, without
much problems, or so I thought, and I'm still not sure.

The other day however, I discovered that through an ethereal DSL
problem solving session, that squid was making HTTP 1.0 requests.
I then discovered that squid never makes any HTTP 1.1 request. This
means no keep-alive.

I did notice that squid makes many connections, so it's possible that
leveraging http 1.1's keep-alive isn't going to make internet browsing
any faster.
But then again it may. A site with frames for instance. Squid and/or
the browser does not know what to get next, after interpreting the
page. Some javascript code might also request more information.
Applies to POST requests too. Recycling the TCP connection will
result in a faster response time.

So, if that's true, how come Squid is the unambigeous king of the
proxy world for years on end, while perhaps (if I'm right) a different
HTTP 1.1 compliant proxy server could proxy circles around Squid?

Another issue, not exactly related to the above.
Slight problem with my DSL isp. If I too quickly make too many
requests (I do this by control clicking in Mozilla, opening, but
activating a new tab), I get problems with a PPP echo request not
making it in time, and the DSL connection gets interrupted.
For instance, if I go to images.google.com, search for stuff, and
control click, and open 8 websites in under 5 seconds, squid then
seems to saturate my DSL connection, and my DSL connection breaks,
because it's echo request is failing, not getting answered in time.

I could increase the ping wait time, but I'm not 100% sure if this is
what the problem is.
Is it also possible to tell squid not to open so many connections,
tell it to ease off a tad, essentially?

Thanks in advance for any reply.