Squid slow - too many objects - large ACL configs - any ideas on speeding things up? - squid

This is a discussion on Squid slow - too many objects - large ACL configs - any ideas on speeding things up? - squid ; Hi All, I'm running Squid on a P4 2.8Ghz box with 1GB ram and RAID5 IDE so performance shouldn't be too bad. Squid with no complex ACLs runs fine on even an old P300 with 128MB ram but my ACLs ...

  1. Squid slow - too many objects - large ACL configs - any ideas on speeding things up?

    Hi All,

    I'm running Squid on a P4 2.8Ghz box with 1GB ram and RAID5 IDE so
    performance shouldn't be too bad.
    Squid with no complex ACLs runs fine on even an old P300 with 128MB ram but
    my ACLs are getting excessively large - I am referencing text files with
    about 50,000 urls.

    example:

    acl porn url_regex "/etc/squid/porn.txt"
    http_access deny porn

    The file porn.txt is 600kb.

    Squid is extremely slow to stop and start. There are delays on accessing web
    pages from clients due to the level of ACLs held in memory.

    I accept that my machine isn't gutsy enough for the job, but does anyone
    have any ideas on getting Squid to run with large ACLs but without losing
    performance?

    Thanks in advance

    Phil Blythe

  2. Re: Squid slow - too many objects - large ACL configs - any ideas on speeding things up?

    p.s.

    All text files are straight text files, no use of REGEXP anywhere so very
    little in the way of processing.

    Rgds

  3. Re: Squid slow - too many objects - large ACL configs - any ideas on speeding things up?

    Or would using Dansguardian be the answer - would a large list of denied
    URLs be more efficient if Dansguardian was used instead of ACLs ?

+ Reply to Thread