On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Alexandros C. Couloumbis wrote:

> I am building a 2x 2.8GHz P4, no HT, 4Gig RAM squid engine on
> a Linux 2.6 with reiser4 and wccp (Gentoo - everything from
> source) no auth

There has not yet been any significant benchmarking of how Squid behaves
on Linux 2.6.

I have hoever seen some reports on performance related problems with both
the vm and the threading. Running without a swap partition recommended.

Before you go production I would recommend running a polygraph test to see
that the box performs like expected when under long term load.

> this is a production group of 1000 concurent users. the pipe
> to the Internet is 20Mbit

Reasonable.

> 1st question: Should I go with Squid 2.5 or 3.0 ? (I plan 2.5)

2.5.

Squid-3.0 is not yet ready for production which can be seen from the
Squid-3.0 page

> 2nd question: there are 4 x 80Gig 7200RPM, 8Mb cache ATA disks
> and one SCSI Raid partition of 120Gig
>
> I will use 70% for disk cache data with reiser4. the rest 30%
> will be empty
>
> ATA disks score 55 on hdparm -t while the raid partition goes
> up to 110

Does not really tell which one is best for Squid.

What you need to measure is the seek capability on random read/writes.

Regards
Henrik