On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Tom Galvin wrote:

> 1) Can we configure squid so clients access this site without client
> software?

Probably not. It depends on the client software however.

> 2) Is a socks proxy server required in addition to squid?

It makes chances higher more things will work.

MS Proxy is basically a combination of a HTTP proxy and a SOCKS proxy,
plus a SOCKS client for Windows. It is not actually using SOCKS but a MS
protocol which goes slightly beyond what SOCKSv5 can do but not far
(SOCKSv5 has some issues with incoming sessions and UDP).

> 3) If so, what open source socks server would you recommend.

Dante is a reasonable one, but not alone. Here is a list of free open
source Socks servers in no particular order:

Dante: http://www.inet.no/dante/

Simple Socks Server: http://home.t-online.de/home/Andreas.Steinmetz/ (also
has free Windows client)

Socks Server 5: http://digilander.libero.it/matteo.ricchetti/