Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Eric Kahklen wrote:
>

>>Yes there is a 3.0 package shipping with SuSE.
>>

>You seem to be right there.. not good.
>
>That version is a very early beta release and not at all suitable for
>production use, at least not according to the Squid developers.
>

>>Is there an easy way to determine what policies were built into the 3.0
>>package from SuSE? I am not sure what heap is, but if needed I will fix
>>this before going live with the production server!!! Will this cause
>>the server to not work properely? or is it just a security/performance
>>issue?
>>

>To find what options a Squid-2.5 or later is compiled with all you need to
>do is to run "squid -v". This will also tell you the exact version of
>Squid used.

AGAIN!! Thanks for the help! I think I may have it working (knock on
wood). From the Squid website they show Squid 3.0Pre3 as the latest
for testing with the Daily auto-generated release. Can I just patch my
3.0Pre3 version? or downloaded the Daily auto-generated release? Is the
later more stable/secure??

>>So for defaultsite I would need something like
>>defaultsite=owaserver.com/exchange vs. owaserver/exchange? and these
>>entries added to the hosts file on the squid server since this points to
>>the internal exchange server?? Also, these names should be different
>>than the FQDN that hits the squid box? correct?
>>

>defaultside SHOULD be the official FQDN by which the clients requests this
>OWA service, and MUST NOT include a path.

I have these two likes which makes it work:

#I am using my FQDN and I point my browsers to the FQDN with the added
path (exchange)
https_port 443 cert=/etc/squid/key-cert.pem defaultsite=mydomain.org

#This does not include "originserver" since it won't work unless I take
it out.
cache_peer 10.0.0.10 parent 80 0 proxy-only no-query no-digest
front-end-https=on login=pass

The "originserver" option won't work. Is this a bad thing??

>>vhost?? is this /etc/hosts? I haven't seen any reference in my research
>>thus far on vhost, but I may just be to much of a novice I suppose. The
>>only thing I see similar is the visible_hostname directive.
>>

>It is a http(s)_port option, documented in the squid.conf documentation
>for the not yet released Squid-3.0 release.
>

>>So would I just add the option "originserver" like this??
>>
>>cache_peer owaserver parent 80 0 proxy-only originserver front-end-https=on login=pass
>>

>Yes.
>

>>I had a hard time finding what this did exactly and the sample config I was sent kept complaining about it.
>>

>>From the squid.conf documentation from the upcoming Squid-3.0 release:

>cache_peer ...
>
> 'originserver' causes this parent peer to be contacted as
> a origin server. Meant to be used in accelerator setups.

I didn't seem to need the vhost option either. Again would this be a
problem down the line??

Thanks again!! I hope to do a "How to for using Squid with OWA servers"
for newbies like me so hopefully this will help reduce all these type of
questions for you guru types on the list

Eric