It sounds obvious now.

BUT , before I added the UDP dns firewall rules. I could successfully do :

lookups using the host command ,
lookups with the example snippet in the Net:NS man page
all DNS & RBL tests with my older SA installation ( 3.0.4 )

.... So I didn't think that I needed that UDP firewall rule.

maybe the newert SA versions forces Net:NS to use UDP where old
versions didn't ...

Oh well.

Dan