On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 23:26 -0500, Len Conrad wrote:
> >On 16/10/2008 8:57 PM, Len Conrad wrote:
> >> FreeBSD 6.2
> >> 2 GHz
> >> 1 GB RAM

> >> In business hours (08:00-17:00), traffic inbound is about 400 msgs/hour

> >400 msgs/hr for a 2GHz processor shouldn't really even show up as
> >noticible load.

My guess is that you have too many processes running for the amount of
ram you have. amavisd consumes a lot of ram, since each fork has its
own copy of SpamAssassin. Make certain you are not swapping. Watch top
and see how much of your time is in wait state. If you have a lot of
swapping, you you probably find it runs better and faster if you
decrease the number of instances.

I have two boxes - one that's been swapping a bit, and one with enough
ram to handle it all. My daytime average is 3335.51 ms on the one that
swaps, and 1117.64 ms on the one that doesn't. The one that's swapping
is going to be replaced tomorrow ;-)
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy