spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11? - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11? - SpamAssassin ; I am using cpanel 11 and being told that I can't get spamassassin to rewrite the subject of emails that are spam. Spam assassin IS adding info in the header like: X-Spam-Subject: [SPAM] test message X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=1002.4 X-Spam-Score: 10024 ...

  1. spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11?

    I am using cpanel 11 and being told that I can't get spamassassin to rewrite
    the subject of emails that are spam. Spam assassin IS adding info in the
    header like:

    but I don't know how to write a mail rule in outlook express or outlook to
    read the header items and act on them. (the subject above has [spam] added,
    but the regular / displayed subject does NOT include the [spam] so it
    doesn't get put in the spam folder).

    thanks!

  2. Re: spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11?

    not007 wrote:

    > I am using cpanel 11 and being told that I can't get spamassassin to rewrite
    > the subject of emails that are spam. Spam assassin IS adding info in the
    > header like:

    You *can* get SA to rewrite the subject, but what cpanel 11
    does in conjunction with SA is beyond the scope of this list.

    > but I don't know how to write a mail rule in outlook express or outlook to
    > read the header items and act on them. (the subject above has [spam] added,
    > but the regular / displayed subject does NOT include the [spam] so it
    > doesn't get put in the spam folder).

    No idea about what to do in Outlook, but for SA-specific documentation
    on rewriting the Subject: header, see:

    http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/...agging_options

    --
    Sahil Tandon

  3. Re: spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11?

    On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 20:27 -0700, not007 wrote:
    > I am using cpanel 11 and being told that I can't get spamassassin to rewrite
    > the subject of emails that are spam. Spam assassin IS adding info in the
    > header like:

    > but I don't know how to write a mail rule in outlook express or outlook to
    > read the header items and act on them. (the subject above has [spam] added,
    > but the regular / displayed subject does NOT include the [spam] so it
    > doesn't get put in the spam folder).

    I have never used Micro$$oft outlook / express before. But it must be
    pretty simple to configure a filter on headers. ( look for message
    filters probably )

    For eg in my evolution client I can set
    if X-Spam-Bar contains "+++++" file into spam folder.
    So any mail scoring 5+ goes into spam

    Consider using thunderbird alternatively :-)

    Thanks
    Ram

  4. Re: spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11?

    not007 wrote:
    > I am using cpanel 11 and being told that I can't get spamassassin to rewrite
    > the subject of emails that are spam. Spam assassin IS adding info in the
    > header like:

    > but I don't know how to write a mail rule in outlook express or outlook to
    > read the header items and act on them. (the subject above has [spam] added,
    > but the regular / displayed subject does NOT include the [spam] so it
    > doesn't get put in the spam folder).

    menu Tools > rules wizard ...
    option "with specific words in the message header"

    untested!

  5. RE: spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11?

    "header tests were not available in Outlook
    Express "

    That's what I am seeing also.... that seems like a big deal - cpanel is used
    in lots of web hosting and spam assassin is needed these days. Not
    everyone uses outlook and OE is a free app that comes with windows (yeah, I
    guess you get what you pay for : )...

    But this WAS usable with OE before. Taking away a critical feature for the
    sake of new and improved is hard to push on clients, right?

    Bowie Bailey wrote:

    > mouss wrote:
    >> not007 wrote:
    >> > I am using cpanel 11 and being told that I can't get spamassassin
    >> > to rewrite the subject of emails that are spam. Spam assassin IS
    >> > adding info in the header like:

    >> > but I don't know how to write a mail rule in outlook express or
    >> > outlook to read the header items and act on them. (the subject
    >> > above has [spam] added, but the regular / displayed subject does
    >> > NOT include the [spam] so it doesn't get put in the spam folder).
    >> >

    >> menu Tools > rules wizard ...
    >> option "with specific words in the message header"
    >>
    >> untested!

    > This works on Outlook, but header tests were not available in Outlook
    > Express the last time I checked.
    >
    > --
    > Bowie

  6. Re: spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11?

    a rule based on the header text is doable in outlook, but not outlook
    express.

    mouss-2 wrote:

    > not007 wrote:
    >> I am using cpanel 11 and being told that I can't get spamassassin to
    >> rewrite
    >> the subject of emails that are spam. Spam assassin IS adding info in the
    >> header like:

    >> but I don't know how to write a mail rule in outlook express or outlook
    >> read the header items and act on them. (the subject above has [spam]
    >> added,
    >> but the regular / displayed subject does NOT include the [spam] so it
    >> doesn't get put in the spam folder).
    >>

    > menu Tools > rules wizard ...
    > option "with specific words in the message header"
    >
    > untested!

  7. RE: spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11?

    On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 06:36 -0700, not007 wrote:

    > But this WAS usable with OE before. Taking away a critical feature for the
    > sake of new and improved is hard to push on clients, right?

    See .sig

    Think Microsoft cares about your needs at all?
    "A company wanted to hold off on upgrading Microsoft Office for a
    year in order to do other projects. So Microsoft gave a 'free' copy
    of the new Office to the CEO -- a copy that of course generated
    errors for anyone else in the firm reading his documents. The CEO
    got tired of getting the 'please re-send in XX format' so he
    ordered other projects put on hold and the Office upgrade to be top
    priority." -- Cringely, 4/8/2004
    Tomorrow: Talk Like a Pirate day

  8. RE: spamassassin can't rewrite subject in cpanel 11?

    > "header tests were not available in Outlook
    > Express "

    This might be the wrong question in the wrong place yet in this day and age,
    why in the world is anyone using outlook express?

    Stop do it!

    ;->

    There are many other good choices.

    - rh