how to completley skip spamassassin check from certain ips - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on how to completley skip spamassassin check from certain ips - SpamAssassin ; Here is my problem, i have been trying for a few months now and can't get it to work. Some emails sent from a certain host that I trust are huge with lots of url's, etc. They are for debugging ...

  1. how to completley skip spamassassin check from certain ips

    Here is my problem, i have been trying for a few months now and can't get it
    to work.
    Some emails sent from a certain host that I trust are huge with lots of
    url's, etc. They are for debugging purposes. When they come in it seems to
    hang spamd. We get a lot of these btw. This is a dual core 3 ghz, 2 gigs ram
    so I don't think power is the problem. Is there a way to just have spamd
    return if its from a certain IP address. Trusted networks doesn't help,
    whitelist doesn't help it still scans the message. If a certain ip sends my
    mail server an email I want it to automatically return "not spam" without
    testing it.
    Is this possible, if not I guess I will have to get into the actual spamd
    perl script and hardcode it myself.
    thanks
    Nick

  2. Re: how to completley skip spamassassin check from certain ips

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, saleen34 wrote:

    > Some emails sent from a certain host that I trust are huge with lots of
    > url's, etc. They are for debugging purposes. When they come in it seems
    > to hang spamd. We get a lot of these btw. This is a dual core 3 ghz, 2
    > gigs ram so I don't think power is the problem. Is there a way to just
    > have spamd return if its from a certain IP address. Trusted networks
    > doesn't help, whitelist doesn't help it still scans the message. If a
    > certain ip sends my mail server an email I want it to automatically
    > return "not spam" without testing it.
    >
    > Is this possible, if not I guess I will have to get into the actual
    > spamd perl script and hardcode it myself.

    The proper solution is to not pass those messages to SA in the first
    place. Leave the SA code alone.

    How _exactly_ do you pass messages to SA for scoring? Milter? Procmail?
    Amavis? Some other MTA-specific plumbing?

    USMC Rules of Gunfighting #6: If you can choose what to bring to a
    gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.
    Today: the 221st anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution

  3. Re: how to completley skip spamassassin check from certain ips

    I may have found my solution:

    acl_check_data:

    accept
    hosts = : +relay_from_hosts

    If I put that accept clause hopefully it will just accept the mail, without
    continuing down to the spam checking. I'll let you know and thanks for the
    response!

    saleen34 wrote:

    > Here is my problem, i have been trying for a few months now and can't get
    > it to work.
    > Some emails sent from a certain host that I trust are huge with lots of
    > url's, etc. They are for debugging purposes. When they come in it seems to
    > hang spamd. We get a lot of these btw. This is a dual core 3 ghz, 2 gigs
    > ram so I don't think power is the problem. Is there a way to just have
    > spamd return if its from a certain IP address. Trusted networks doesn't
    > help, whitelist doesn't help it still scans the message. If a certain ip
    > sends my mail server an email I want it to automatically return "not spam"
    > without testing it.
    > Is this possible, if not I guess I will have to get into the actual spamd
    > perl script and hardcode it myself.
    > thanks
    > Nick
    >
    > Edit:
    > Here is my setup.
    >
    > CentOS release 5.2
    > Exim 4.69
    > Spamassassin 3.2.5
    > ClamAv

  4. Re: how to completley skip spamassassin check from certain ips

    saleen34 wrote:
    > Here is my problem, i have been trying for a few months now and can't get it
    > to work.
    > Some emails sent from a certain host that I trust are huge with lots of
    > url's, etc. They are for debugging purposes. When they come in it seems to
    > hang spamd. We get a lot of these btw. This is a dual core 3 ghz, 2 gigs ram
    > so I don't think power is the problem. Is there a way to just have spamd
    > return if its from a certain IP address. Trusted networks doesn't help,
    > whitelist doesn't help it still scans the message. If a certain ip sends my
    > mail server an email I want it to automatically return "not spam" without
    > testing it.
    > Is this possible, if not I guess I will have to get into the actual spamd
    > perl script and hardcode it myself.
    > thanks

    Rather than break code, the solution is easier. However you call
    SpamAssassin, simply DON'T call spamassassin for messages from that host.

  5. RE: how to completley skip spamassassin check from certain ips

    What about the ShortCircuiting Ruleset? Not sure if it would completely
    stop emails from getting chewed on.

    The other option would be not sending them to SA. I don't know what MTA
    your using, but I know you can setup another postfix instance on the same
    server and by configuration you could have the first mail server forward
    messages on to that server if they match the criteria. Obviously it's a
    complex setup.