RE: Skip scanning for large mails - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on RE: Skip scanning for large mails - SpamAssassin ; Depends on you call SA.. Mailscanner for one has this feature. martin -----Original Message----- From: mouss Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:42 PM Cc: users@spamassassin.apache.org Subject: Re: Skip scanning for large mails RobertH wrote: >> From: mouss > >> >> ...

  1. RE: Skip scanning for large mails

    From: mouss
    Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:42 PM
    Cc: users@spamassassin.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Skip scanning for large mails

    RobertH wrote:
    >> From: mouss >
    >>
    >> 1MB is probably too large. There is not much spam with such size
    >> (although few ones were reported here).
    >>

    > What has the studies of the average and realistic maximum of spam email
    > sizes concluded?
    >
    > Was the conclusion the SA default size?

    I am not aware of any study.

    but I just checked a junk folder of 5701 spams and found that:

    - 4: have a size >= 1 Mo (2 are about 1M and 2 about 1.7M)
    - 7: 256 >< 500
    - 13: 100 >< 256 K
    (Incidentally, no spam in the 450K - 1M range. I'll have to look at other spams).

    In short:
    - 0.42% are >= 100K
    - 0.19% are >= 256K
    - 0.07% >= 1M

    so ther's not much benefit spending SA processing on large messages.

    Red Lion 49 Ltd T/A Solid State Logic
    (Company No:5362730)
    United Kingdom

  2. Re: Skip scanning for large mails

    Martin.Hepworth wrote:
    > Depends on you call SA.. Mailscanner for one has this feature.

    sorry, I don't understand what feature you are talking about.

    my point was that the number of large spam messages is too low for me to
    spend SA processing on it.

    The samples I looked at could easily be stopped otherwise (I don't
    "usuall" get a lot of lottery mail with a large .tif from a gmail
    address!!). but it's not worth the pain. if spammers start sending large
    messages, things will change...

  3. Re: Skip scanning for large mails

    Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
    >> From: mouss [mailto:mouss@netoyen.net]
    >>
    >> The samples I looked at could easily be stopped otherwise (I don't
    >> "usuall" get a lot of lottery mail with a large .tif from a gmail
    >> address!!). but it's not worth the pain. if spammers start sending
    >> large
    >> messages, things will change...

    > We just received a 419 spam with a 642 KB JPG file. It would be nice if SpamAssassin could at least look at the text of messages like that.

    Can you post a copy on a web page, just to see if it can be stopped with
    MTA checks.

  4. Re: Skip scanning for large mails

    Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:

    > We just received a 419 spam with a 642 KB JPG file. It would be nice if SpamAssassin could at least look at the text of messages like that.

    Wouldn't FuzzyOCR pick up on that?

+ Reply to Thread