sa-update no new rules ? - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on sa-update no new rules ? - SpamAssassin ; Hi ! I'm using spamassassin 3.1.8 on a server. This is the last version available from the repository for this particular linux version. For some months it seems that both channels I use (saupdates.openprotect.com and updates.spamassassin.org) Don't release any update. ...

  1. sa-update no new rules ?

    Hi !

    I'm using spamassassin 3.1.8 on a server.

    This is the last version available from the repository for this particular
    linux version.

    For some months it seems that both channels I use (saupdates.openprotect.com
    and updates.spamassassin.org)

    Don't release any update.

    I always get a message like "current version = latest version.. Skiping
    channel"

    Are these channels deactivated ? If so , are there any other channels I can
    use with sa-update?

    Regards

    David

  2. Re: sa-update no new rules ?

    David Carvalho wrote:

    > Hi !
    >
    > I’m using spamassassin 3.1.8 on a server.
    >
    > This is the last version available from the repository for this
    > particular linux version.
    >
    > For some months it seems that both channels I use
    > (saupdates.openprotect.com and updates.spamassassin.org)
    >
    > Don’t release any update.
    >
    > I always get a message like “current version = latest version….
    > Skiping channel”
    >
    > Are these channels deactivated ? If so , are there any other channels
    > I can use with sa-update?

    There are not likely to ever be any more updates for the 3.1.x branch.
    We're on the 3.2 family, and 3.3 is starting to take shape.

    From historical observation, there is a period of overlap when two
    families get actively updated in sa-update, but once the current release
    (in this case 3.2) stabilizes and development starts to work on the next
    release (in this case 3.3) updates for the previous release (3.1.x) are
    more-or-less dropped unless there's a major issue with one of the rules
    (ie: if a dos in a rule regex cropped up).

    Besides, sa-update only updates half of spamassassin, the rules half,
    and it does not update the code. The latest rules won't help you if your
    HTML de-obfuscators and other such things are old, and that stuff lives
    in the code, not the rules. It changes quite a bit slower than the
    rules, but it does change, and does need updating sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread