CPAN Install Fails - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on CPAN Install Fails - SpamAssassin ; CPAN install fails consistently. E.g., Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail List of Failed ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- t/spamc_optC.t 9 4 2 4 6 8 t/spamc_optL.t 16 16 1-16 34 tests skipped. Failed 2/143 test scripts. 20/2021 subtests failed. Files=143, Tests=2021, 981 wallclock ...

  1. CPAN Install Fails

    CPAN install fails consistently. E.g.,

    Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail List of Failed
    t/spamc_optC.t 9 4 2 4 6 8
    t/spamc_optL.t 16 16 1-16
    34 tests skipped.
    Failed 2/143 test scripts. 20/2021 subtests failed.
    Files=143, Tests=2021, 981 wallclock secs (558.97 cusr + 19.51 csys =
    578.48 CPU)
    Failed 2/143 test programs. 20/2021 subtests failed.
    make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
    JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz
    /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
    //hint// to see the cpan-testers results for installing this module,
    try:
    reports JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz
    Running make install
    make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
    Failed during this command:
    JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz : make_test NO

    I'm running Fedora v9. All of the prerequisite and optional modules
    installed with no problem. Suggestions?

  2. Re: CPAN Install Fails

    Have you got any answers on this? I have the same problem. Other numbers of
    errors. So I am stuck with 3.1.0

    --
    Regards
    Lars Ebeling

    http://leopg9.no-ip.org
    Hobbithobbyist

    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and
    remove all doubt."
    -- Mark Twain

    > Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail List of Failed
    > t/spamc_optC.t 9 4 2 4 6 8
    > t/spamc_optL.t 16 16 1-16
    > 34 tests skipped.
    > Failed 2/143 test scripts. 20/2021 subtests failed.
    > Files=143, Tests=2021, 981 wallclock secs (558.97 cusr + 19.51 csys =
    > 578.48 CPU)
    > Failed 2/143 test programs. 20/2021 subtests failed.
    > make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
    > JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz
    > /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
    > //hint// to see the cpan-testers results for installing this module, try:
    > reports JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz
    > Running make install
    > make test had returned bad status, won't install without force
    > Failed during this command:
    > JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5.tar.gz : make_test NO
    >

    > I'm running Fedora v9. All of the prerequisite and optional modules
    > installed with no problem. Suggestions?

  3. Re: CPAN Install Fails

    Bob Cohen wrote:
    > I'm running Fedora v9. All of the prerequisite and optional modules
    > installed with no problem. Suggestions?

    Well, there’s always “install it with yum”:
    yum install spamassassin

    Hope this helps,

    James.

    --
    E-mail: james@ | “It has taken 24 years to get the Reichstag wrapped.
    aprilcottage.co.uk | Chancellor Kohl said it would only be wrapped over his
    | dead body, so sensing an opportunity the Bundestag
    | outvoted him.” -- The Guardian

  4. Re: CPAN Install Fails

    I've found that the 'make test' part of spamassassin fails when run as
    root on some machines. Since you need to run CPAN as root to install
    spamassassin I've found that it fails for me on most systems.

    A workaround I've done in the past is exiting cpan - finding the cpan
    source (usually /root/.cpan/build/-) and
    running make test as non-root. This usually succeeds and I can also run
    make install from that directory to install it.

    Hope this helps

    -Chris H

    James Wilkinson wrote:
    > Bob Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running Fedora v9. All of the prerequisite and optional modules
    >> installed with no problem. Suggestions?
    >>

    > Well, there’s always “install it with yum”:
    > yum install spamassassin
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > James.

  5. Re: CPAN Install Fails

    On Sep 3, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Chris Henry wrote:

    > I've found that the 'make test' part of spamassassin fails when run
    > as root on some machines. Since you need to run CPAN as root to
    > install spamassassin I've found that it fails for me on most systems.

    Here's some info I found on this issue. http://markmail.org/message/6rriowqf3brbntiv#query
    :t%2Fspamc_optC.t+page:2+mid:h5kfzxb2izwrdjmn+stat e:results

    > A workaround I've done in the past is exiting cpan - finding the
    > cpan source (usually /root/.cpan/build/-)
    > and running make test as non-root. This usually succeeds and I can
    > also run make install from that directory to install it.

    How did you run make test as non-root? I ended up installing
    SpamAssassin from source and it worked fine. Of course maintenance
    will be a little more difficult but I just wanted to get the thing done.

    Bob Cohen
    Principal, MojoTools Web Design
    W: www.mojotools.com
    O: 508.384.0405

  6. Re: CPAN Install Fails

    Bob -

    You can give read permissions (if needed) on the SpamAssassin CPAN build
    folder (usually /root/.cpan/build/- - on my
    system it was: /root/.cpan/build/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5-Bpy3vr) to some
    non-root user on your system - ie: bob

    as bob run make test in the /root/.cpan/build/-
    folder.

    If that succeeds then you can switch back to root and finish installing
    via make install.

    -Chris H

    Bob Cohen wrote:

    > On Sep 3, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Chris Henry wrote:
    >
    >> I've found that the 'make test' part of spamassassin fails when run
    >> as root on some machines. Since you need to run CPAN as root to
    >> install spamassassin I've found that it fails for me on most systems.

    > Here's some info I found on this issue.
    > http://markmail.org/message/6rriowqf...+state:results
    >

    >> A workaround I've done in the past is exiting cpan - finding the cpan
    >> source (usually /root/.cpan/build/-) and
    >> running make test as non-root. This usually succeeds and I can also
    >> run make install from that directory to install it.

    > How did you run make test as non-root? I ended up installing
    > SpamAssassin from source and it worked fine. Of course maintenance
    > will be a little more difficult but I just wanted to get the thing done.
    >
    > Bob Cohen
    > Principal, MojoTools Web Design
    > W: www.mojotools.com
    > O: 508.384.0405

  7. RE: CPAN Install Fails

    Or, install it from source. I've had problems myself installing
    Spamassassin via CPAN, so many problems at a time, in fact, that I
    simply gave up and went with package management - which worked first
    time and every time after. Installation from source has been a bit more
    hairy, but nowhere near as hairy as a CPAN install.

    From what I have read on the net, it would appear that CPAN installs are
    best left alone unless you really know what you're doing and are willing
    to fix things before you get the product installed - but that's just _my
    opinion_. I don't want to tick anyone off on the list who really likes
    CPAN - I have nothing against it - I just don't use it .

    2cents.

    Cheers,
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread