adding score for email from noreply@ - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on adding score for email from noreply@ - SpamAssassin ; I'm having a pretty hard time with this one for some reason, mainly because I don't understand regex. I have a large number of emails that are getting past my spamassassin setup (Maia Mailguard 1.02a) as well as my Barracuda. ...

  1. adding score for email from noreply@

    I'm having a pretty hard time with this one for some reason, mainly because
    I don't understand regex. I have a large number of emails that are getting
    past my spamassassin setup (Maia Mailguard 1.02a) as well as my Barracuda.
    I would like to add a score to email from noreply@*. I'm not asking for
    anyone to write the rule for me (though that would be nice), but general
    guidance on how to go about doing this *easily*.

    Curtis LaMasters
    http://www.curtis-lamasters.com
    http://www.builtnetworks.com

  2. Re: adding score for email from noreply@

    On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 14:31 -0500, Curtis LaMasters wrote:
    > I'm having a pretty hard time with this one for some reason, mainly
    > because I don't understand regex. I have a large number of emails
    > that are getting past my spamassassin setup (Maia Mailguard 1.02a) as
    > well as my Barracuda. I would like to add a score to email from
    > noreply@*. I'm not asking for anyone to write the rule for me (though
    > that would be nice), but general guidance on how to go about doing
    > this *easily*.

    I've recently been putting in IP blocks for what seems to be a single
    spam outfit using noreply@... in all emails. So far it seems they're
    moving around a fairly small number of hosting providers but no one is
    onto them yet.

    Derek

  3. RE: adding score for email from noreply@

    Hello Derek.

    Check out http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/WritingRules for writing
    custom rules. I learnt how to do it from that page, and then by looking
    at how everyone else makes rules (check out the ones that already come
    with Spamassassin - and go about understanding them)

    If you're on a linux box with the Perl manuals installed, you can get an
    idea about regular expressions from "man perlre". Takes a little while
    for regular expressions to sink in, but you've got to start somewhere.

    It may also help to understand Perl itself a little better... I bought a
    book to do that

    HTH, Cheers,
    Michael Hutchinson
    Manux Solutions Limited.

  4. RE: adding score for email from noreply@

    On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 14:13 +1200, Michael Hutchinson wrote:
    > Check out http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/WritingRules for writing
    > custom rules. I learnt how to do it from that page, and then by looking
    > at how everyone else makes rules (check out the ones that already come
    > with Spamassassin - and go about understanding them)
    >
    > If you're on a linux box with the Perl manuals installed, you can get an
    > idea about regular expressions from "man perlre". Takes a little while
    > for regular expressions to sink in, but you've got to start somewhere.
    >
    > It may also help to understand Perl itself a little better... I bought a
    > book to do that

    Thanks Michael,

    I'm pretty familiar with Perl. However writing a rule for noreply@
    wasn't where I wanted to go given that it's too simplistic a pattern and
    prone to false positives with automated systems that use noreply@. Given
    the IPs only produce this stuff it seemed smarter to just block them. W

    What intrigues me is who these guys are and how/why they're flying under
    the anti-spam radar.

    Derek

+ Reply to Thread