spamassassin failure causing mail bounces - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on spamassassin failure causing mail bounces - SpamAssassin ; Hi - I have a server (mail & web) set up with spamassassin 3.1.9 installed with postfix 2.45 on Red Hat 4.1.2-13 kernel 2.6.22.14-72.fc6 3 users of the server I manage are having all incoming emails bounced with the following: ...

  1. spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

    Hi - I have a server (mail & web) set up with spamassassin 3.1.9 installed
    with postfix 2.45 on Red Hat 4.1.2-13 kernel 2.6.22.14-72.fc6

    3 users of the server I manage are having all incoming emails bounced with
    the following:

    temporary failure. Command output: procmail: Program failure (-25) of
    "/usr/bin/spamassassin" procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
    procmail: Error while writing to "" procmail: Error while writing to
    "/var/mail/lynn."

    (I have replaced the domain name with here)
    When I look at cpu use using top it appears that between them, spamassassin
    processes are taking up around 98% of processor use...
    Any ideas why spamassassin should be failing? I couldn't locate an
    explanation for error 25 - in the maillog the above error message is
    appearing every few hundredths of a second - is spamassassin just not able
    to cope with what might be a massive spam attack?

    I can see that there is also a subsidiary problem that procmail seems to be
    trying to save the emails to the wrong directory when spamassassin fails -
    it should be going to /home//homes/lynn in this case (but this is
    not so much of a problem)...

    ANy help would be gratefully recieve

  2. Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

    /etc/postxix/main had mailbox_size_limit set to 11 megs - can't believe this
    is the default! All 3 users are on holiday, so this is the first time this
    limit had been reached...

    upped it to half a gig and now the mail is getting through....

  3. Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

    /etc/postfix/main had mailbox_size_limit set to 11 megs - can't believe this
    is the default! All 3 users are on holiday, so this is the first time this
    limit had been reached...

    upped it to half a gig and now the mail is getting through....

  4. Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, theWoosh wrote:

    > /etc/postfix/main had mailbox_size_limit set to 11 megs - can't believe this
    > is the default! All 3 users are on holiday, so this is the first time this
    > limit had been reached...
    >
    > upped it to half a gig and now the mail is getting through....

    11 messages? They must have been pretty large. The default
    mailbox_size_limit is 512000000 Kb as distributed from the Postfix web
    site.

    -d

  5. Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

    On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 06:24 -0700, theWoosh wrote:
    > /etc/postfix/main had mailbox_size_limit set to 11 megs

    That isn't a default value: the Postfix default is 51200000, 50 MB. The
    mailbox_size_limit parameter is not defined in the default main.cf for
    the current version of Postfix (2.4.5) so if it was present then
    somebody has set it deliberately.

    Another thought: if procmail is copying incoming mail into a mailbox in
    the user's home directory and you're enforcing user filestore quotas
    then that mailbox could overflow the quota and cause a procmail error.

    Martin

  6. Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

    Hi, thanks for your response...
    I didn't set the limit so maybe it was set by default when procmail was
    installed - can't remember if it came pre-configured or not (maybe it was
    done via CP+ ?)

    I am not setting quotas on any of the mail users, so this should not be a
    problem I hope

    Spamassassin is now down to *ONLY* 45% of cpu or thereabouts...

    ..... they get a LOT of spam :-)

    Cheers

  7. Re: spamassassin failure causing mail bounces

    Diverting from the original question...

    > Spamassassin is now down to *ONLY* 45% of cpu or thereabouts...

    Use spamc/spamd!

    According to your OP, you are calling spamassassin, forking a new
    heavy-weight process for each mail. This comes with a considerable
    start-up penalty. You can get rid of this and lower your machines load,
    for trading off some memory.

    > .... they get a LOT of spam :-)

    Probably not. With a lot of spam, using spamassassin rather than
    spamd would fry your server.

    IMHO, anyone who feels the need for SA (as opposed to some small-scale,
    usually Bayes-only client side filtering) also needs a more
    sophisticated method than plain 'spamassassin' calling per mail.

    guenther

    --
    char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0.@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a \x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
    main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i (c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

+ Reply to Thread