R/O: tie failed: Permission denied - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on R/O: tie failed: Permission denied - SpamAssassin ; hi Guys, I have recently moved out mail server to new hardware. It is setup exactly the same way (an identical mirror), yet I am getting the following warnings in my spamd.log. Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: ...

  1. R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

    hi Guys,

    I have recently moved out mail server to new hardware.

    It is setup exactly the same way (an identical mirror), yet I am getting the
    following warnings in my spamd.log.

    Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
    /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
    Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
    /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

    The strange thing is, it is marking emails as spam like it should be, and if
    I sa-learn a message as spam it correctly shows as having worked when i run
    sa-learn --dump magic the 'nspam' number shows as having inreased.

    Any ideas

    Cheers

  2. Re: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

    > From: Hungry Snail
    > Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:21:01 -0700 (PDT)
    > Subject: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
    >

    > hi Guys,
    >
    > I have recently moved out mail server to new hardware.
    >
    > It is setup exactly the same way (an identical mirror), yet I am getting the
    > following warnings in my spamd.log.
    >
    > Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
    > /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
    > Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
    > /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

    Probably a permission problem :-)

    'move to new hardware'. Took disk out, put in in new hardware? Or
    tarball/extrct? Scp? Rsync? Dump / reload?
    Check to make sure the userid's, password file, groups, group permissions
    are still the same.

    --
    Michael Scheidell, CTO
    >|SECNAP Network Security

    Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
    FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer

    For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

  3. Re: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

    Michael Scheidell wrote:

    >> From: Hungry Snail
    >> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:21:01 -0700 (PDT)
    >> Subject: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
    >>

    >> hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I have recently moved out mail server to new hardware.
    >>
    >> It is setup exactly the same way (an identical mirror), yet I am getting
    >> the
    >> following warnings in my spamd.log.
    >>
    >> Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
    >> /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied
    >> Tue Aug 12 15:13:36 2008 [6247] warn: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
    >> /etc/mail/spamassassin/spamdb/bayes_* R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

    > Probably a permission problem :-)
    >
    > 'move to new hardware'. Took disk out, put in in new hardware? Or
    > tarball/extrct? Scp? Rsync? Dump / reload?
    > Check to make sure the userid's, password file, groups, group permissions
    > are still the same.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Scheidell, CTO
    >>|SECNAP Network Security

    > Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
    > FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer
    >
    > __________________________________________________ _______________________
    > This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap(r).
    > For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com
    > __________________________________________________ _______________________

    Thanks for the reply,

    Well I installed everything on the new server and then just copied across
    the mail folders, configuration files and of course the spamdb.

    The permissions of the files are identical on both servers, and they are
    both set to run as root (probally something to be frowned upon, but it
    worked ok on the old server).

    even the passwd file looks identical.

  4. Re: R/O: tie failed: Permission denied

    Copying thigs across doesn't always preserve permissions.
    For cp command, you would need the '-p' option. Same for scp or rcp.
    rsync, would be -a option.

    Most likely permissions problems. Since the error message says 'Permission
    denied'

    Look at permissions on the files AND the directory, and parent directory and
    parent directory.

    --
    Michael Scheidell, CTO