auto-whitelist woes - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on auto-whitelist woes - SpamAssassin ; Hi I recently installed spamassasin on my freebsd test machine. For the likes of me, I keep getting this message, and I dont know how to fix it. Aug 6 17:06:43 spamassasin spamd[63534]: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed: locker: ...

  1. auto-whitelist woes

    Hi

    I recently installed spamassasin on my freebsd test machine. For the
    likes of me, I keep getting this message, and I dont know how to fix it.

    Aug 6 17:06:43 spamassasin spamd[63534]: auto-whitelist: open of
    auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp
    lockfile
    /nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.spamassasin.eccotours.local.63534
    for
    /nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory

    If anyone could assist, I would really appreciate it.

    Kind Regards
    Brent Clark

  2. Re: auto-whitelist woes

    Brent Clark wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I recently installed spamassasin on my freebsd test machine. For the
    > likes of me, I keep getting this message, and I dont know how to fix it.
    >
    > Aug 6 17:06:43 spamassasin spamd[63534]: auto-whitelist: open of
    > auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp
    > lockfile
    > /nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.spamassasin.eccotours.local.63534
    > for
    > /nonexistent/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: No such file or directory
    >
    > If anyone could assist, I would really appreciate it.

    Looks like you're running spamd as root, and spamc is getting called as
    root. To avoid the risky task of scanning mail while holding root
    privilges, SA setuid's itself to the "nobody" user. However, nobody
    doesn't, and shouldn't, have a writable home directory.

    If you're doing a per-user config (ie: procmailrc), that's probably fine
    and you'll only get that for mail delivered to root's mailbox. That
    shouldn't be a problem unless you alias lots of mail to root, in which
    case you should consider aliasing it elsewhere.

    If you're doing a system wide config that always calls spamc as root
    (ie: some milters, etc), I'd suggest creating a user for spamd to run as
    and passing that as a -u parameter to either spamc or spamd.

+ Reply to Thread