Body tests - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on Body tests - SpamAssassin ; I am planning to use mpop to do a preliminary screen of spam that exceeds the spamassassin value of 10 then do a secondary screen in kmail for spam that has a value between 5 and 10 This will involve ...

  1. Body tests

    I am planning to use mpop to do a preliminary screen of spam that
    exceeds the spamassassin value of 10 then do a secondary screen in
    kmail for spam that has a value between 5 and 10

    This will involve first feeding headers only through mpop and
    spamassassin then to /dev/null and then fetching the whole of the
    remainin messages and filtering them in kmail

    I would like to remove any body tests from the preliminarry screen as
    mpop will only be feeding headers to spamassassin.

    Questions:

    Is there a single command somewhere in the configuration files to let me
    instruct spamassassin not to attempt body tests? Or will it be
    necessary to examine all configuration files to disable body each test
    one at a time?

    Thank you.

    Clive

  2. Re: Body tests

    Clive Dove wrote:
    > I am planning to use mpop to do a preliminary screen of spam that
    > exceeds the spamassassin value of 10 then do a secondary screen in
    > kmail for spam that has a value between 5 and 10
    >
    > This will involve first feeding headers only through mpop and
    > spamassassin then to /dev/null and then fetching the whole of the
    > remainin messages and filtering them in kmail
    >
    > I would like to remove any body tests from the preliminarry screen as
    > mpop will only be feeding headers to spamassassin.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > Is there a single command somewhere in the configuration files to let me
    > instruct spamassassin not to attempt body tests? Or will it be
    > necessary to examine all configuration files to disable body each test
    > one at a time?

    There's no command to do header-only tests..

    What I would suggest trying is creating an alternate rules directory
    with only the header tests included in it, and point SA to that with the
    -C option (this over-rides the default rules directory)

  3. Re: Body tests

    On Tuesday 05 August 2008 19:17:15 Matt Kettler wrote:
    > Clive Dove wrote:
    > > I am planning to use mpop to do a preliminary screen of spam that
    > > exceeds the spamassassin value of 10 then do a secondary screen in
    > > kmail for spam that has a value between 5 and 10
    > >
    > > This will involve first feeding headers only through mpop and
    > > spamassassin then to /dev/null and then fetching the whole of the
    > > remainin messages and filtering them in kmail
    > >
    > > I would like to remove any body tests from the preliminarry screen
    > > as mpop will only be feeding headers to spamassassin.
    > >
    > > Questions:
    > >
    > > Is there a single command somewhere in the configuration files to
    > > let me instruct spamassassin not to attempt body tests? Or will it
    > > be necessary to examine all configuration files to disable body
    > > each test one at a time?

    > There's no command to do header-only tests..
    >
    > What I would suggest trying is creating an alternate rules directory
    > with only the header tests included in it, and point SA to that with
    > the -C option (this over-rides the default rules directory)

    Thank you.

    Are there any penalties or gotchas (other than slowdowns) if any or all
    of the body tests are not disabled when only headers are fed though?
    There are a lot of body only tests and a lot of header only tests so I
    am tempted to simply go with the default rules directory but change the
    spam threshold point as a command line argument in the pipe.

    I am also looking for a way to restrict the number of messages fetched
    during each instance of the mpop cron job so as to minimize any adverse
    effects of any slowdown.

    Clive

+ Reply to Thread