RE: newbie bayes_path question - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on RE: newbie bayes_path question - SpamAssassin ; Ebbe Hjorth wrote: > I tried to find out howto use bayes_path on a mailserver with only > virtual users? > > I searched my drive for "bayes" as the standard folder should be > named in the /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin folder ...

  1. RE: newbie bayes_path question

    Ebbe Hjorth wrote:
    > I tried to find out howto use bayes_path on a mailserver with only
    > virtual users?
    >
    > I searched my drive for "bayes" as the standard folder should be
    > named in the /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin folder but nothing
    > there.
    >
    > Do i just put bayes_path=/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes/ in
    > the local.cf and spamassassin takes care of the rest? I just seems to
    > easy

    You're almost there. You just made one common mistake.

    The bayes_path is not a directory. It's a path and a filename stub.
    Try this:

    bayes_path=/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes/bayes

    You will need to create the /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes/
    directory and then SA will create the bayes* files.

    Remember to restart spamd after making config changes.

    --
    Bowie

  2. Re: newbie bayes_path question

    Bowie Bailey wrote:
    > Ebbe Hjorth wrote:
    >
    >> I tried to find out howto use bayes_path on a mailserver with only
    >> virtual users?
    >>
    >> I searched my drive for "bayes" as the standard folder should be
    >> named in the /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin folder but nothing
    >> there.
    >>
    >> Do i just put bayes_path=/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes/ in
    >> the local.cf and spamassassin takes care of the rest? I just seems to
    >> easy
    >>

    > You're almost there. You just made one common mistake.
    >
    > The bayes_path is not a directory. It's a path and a filename stub.
    > Try this:
    >
    > bayes_path=/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes/bayes
    >
    > You will need to create the /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes/
    > directory and then SA will create the bayes* files.
    >
    > Remember to restart spamd after making config changes.

    Still almost there.

    You need to tell SA to make those files world-writable.

    bayes_file_mode 0777

    (and note: that's really a mask, not a mode. You need 777 because
    sometimes it's used in temp directory creation, and those need to end up
    777. Any non-directories will mask a request of 666 against your 777
    and end up 666)

+ Reply to Thread