sa-update on Windows - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on sa-update on Windows - SpamAssassin ; Greetings! New to the list so bear with me... I have been running SA on Exchange 2003 for quite some time and recently updated to 3.2.5. One thing I have noticed is sa-update doesn't actually seem to be making a ...

  1. sa-update on Windows

    Greetings! New to the list so bear with me...

    I have been running SA on Exchange 2003 for quite some time and recently
    updated to 3.2.5. One thing I have noticed is sa-update doesn't actually
    seem to be making a connection; as it had always done in the past. Our
    company's firewall logs EVERY outgoing connection and when I run
    sa-update from the command prompt, no connection is established
    anywhere. Previously, I could see the connection being logged.

    Any troubleshooting help on this would be greatly appreciated...

    SRB

    Senior Network Engineer

  2. Re: sa-update on Windows

    On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:19:19PM -0500, Shawn Berg wrote:
    > company's firewall logs EVERY outgoing connection and when I run
    > sa-update from the command prompt, no connection is established
    > anywhere. Previously, I could see the connection being logged.
    >
    > Any troubleshooting help on this would be greatly appreciated...

    "sa-update -D"

    See what it says. If there isn't something obvious, etc, feel free to
    pastebot it somewhere and post the link in this thread.

    --
    Randomly Selected Tagline:
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its

  3. Re: sa-update on Windows

    On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 23:36 -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
    > On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:19:19PM -0500, Shawn Berg wrote:

    > > company's firewall logs EVERY outgoing connection and when I run
    > > sa-update from the command prompt, no connection is established
    > > anywhere. Previously, I could see the connection being logged.

    Err, what connection? If I'm not terribly mistaken, sa-update uses DNS,
    and there will be no other connection made if there are no updates. If
    you're running a caching DNS locally, you likely either will see no
    outgoing connection at all with rapid, repeated sa-update calls, or the
    connection will be made by your DNS server, not sa-update.

    FWIW, updates usually are not frequent. (With the notable exception of
    the Sought rules.)

    > > Any troubleshooting help on this would be greatly appreciated...

    > "sa-update -D"
    >
    > See what it says. If there isn't something obvious, etc, feel free to
    > pastebot it somewhere and post the link in this thread.

    Also, run spamassassin -D and see, which rules it is picking up. You
    should see the update dir there.

    guenther

    --
    char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0.@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a \x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
    main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i (c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

  4. RE: sa-update on Windows

    or to list. Back on-list to close the dangling thread.

    On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 07:50 -0500, Shawn Berg wrote:
    > With the frequesncy of DNS look-ups, DNS logging is not enabled. Once
    > I did enable the logging of DNS requests and cleared our local DNS
    > cache, I not only saw the outbound DNS request, I also found the
    > cached entry in our DNS server. I guess I assumed this was a straight
    > http connection to the update server...
    >
    > Thanks for helping me understand the sa-update process a little
    > better...

    No problem, I'm glad this explained what you see. I wonder what
    connections you have been seeing before, though.

    Please also see the documentation on the wiki:
    http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates

    I seem to remember the wiki explains the update process and how DNS is
    involved. Can't find it though. Maybe I am just confusing it with list
    posts.

    guenther

    > From: Karsten Bräckelmann [mailto:guenther@rudersport.de]

    > Err, what connection? If I'm not terribly mistaken, sa-update uses DNS,
    > and there will be no other connection made if there are no updates. If
    > you're running a caching DNS locally, you likely either will see no
    > outgoing connection at all with rapid, repeated sa-update calls, or the
    > connection will be made by your DNS server, not sa-update.

    --
    char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0.@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a \x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
    main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i (c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

  5. Re: sa-update on Windows

    On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 03:20:16PM +0200, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
    > I seem to remember the wiki explains the update process and how DNS is
    > involved. Can't find it though. Maybe I am just confusing it with list
    > posts.

    You may be thinking of
    http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/...ingRuleUpdates

    which used to be part of RuleUpdates, but got separated out. (it's linked to
    a the bottom of RuleUpdates now)

    --
    Randomly Selected Tagline:
    "Here in the U.S., a flame-retardant called polybrominated diphenyl ethers

+ Reply to Thread