RE: Memory Leak? - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on RE: Memory Leak? - SpamAssassin ; Ron Smith wrote: > > On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Martin.Hepworth wrote: > > > Ron > > > > I'd check what RBL's and URI-RBL's you are running. > > > > If you haven't turned any ...

  1. RE: Memory Leak?

    Ron Smith wrote:

    > On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Martin.Hepworth wrote:
    >
    > > Ron
    > >
    > > I'd check what RBL's and URI-RBL's you are running.
    > >
    > > If you haven't turned any of them then you're running them all -
    > > which can lead to very long processing times.
    > >
    > > Choose one or two you want by looking through the 20_dnsbl_tests.cf
    > > file. And give then rest a zero score in local.cf
    > >
    > > Running a local caching nameserver on the machine itself can help
    > > quite a bit here too.

    > Hi, Martin. That's also a very good suggestion. Now I thought that
    > using the -L parameter would turn all those off. I did try that
    > thinking that that was the case however I really wasn't sure that it
    > made a difference. I'll try your suggestion on the zero scores in the
    > local.cf too.
    >
    > We do run named on that same server and in fact run a total of four
    > nameservers. I'll check and make sure that is the one that is the
    > first choice though in the System Preferences.

    DNS tests generally do not cause major slowdowns unless you have one
    that is not responding. The tests are run in parallel with the rest of
    the SA tests. The queries are all sent out and then the responses are
    checked later after the rest of the rules are run.

    Turning off all the network tests is generally a bad idea since they are
    VERY helpful in detecting spam.

    A caching nameserver will definitely help the response times.

    --
    Bowie

  2. Re: Memory Leak?

    Hi, Bowie.

    Ron Smith
    postmaster@pmbx.net

    "Having an email problem is painful, but character-building."

    On Jul 25, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

    > DNS tests generally do not cause major slowdowns unless you have one
    > that is not responding. The tests are run in parallel with the rest
    > of
    > the SA tests. The queries are all sent out and then the responses are
    > checked later after the rest of the rules are run.

    Yes I know. I would say that maybe %20 to 30 percent of the spam at a
    minimum I see come through has a dns query trigger in the scoring.
    They are very important and so I will stepwise test. If I don't see
    any improvement with the change in the spamd call you suggested and
    the change in the system DNS server, then I'll test that.

    > Turning off all the network tests is generally a bad idea since they
    > are
    > VERY helpful in detecting spam.

+ Reply to Thread