RE: Memory Leak? - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on RE: Memory Leak? - SpamAssassin ; Ron Smith wrote: > Thanks so much for your kind response, Bowie. That has become my > conclusion also. Do you use sa-compile and if so, have you seen that > improve memory usage? I attempted to use sa-compile, but ...

  1. RE: Memory Leak?

    Ron Smith wrote:
    > Thanks so much for your kind response, Bowie. That has become my
    > conclusion also. Do you use sa-compile and if so, have you seen that
    > improve memory usage?

    I attempted to use sa-compile, but I kept running into problems, so I
    dropped it. I think the problems were related to an account that has
    some user-defined rules.

    > I've tried adjusting the child processes up and down with little
    > effect I think. Are you using 2 or 3? What's your timeout setting for
    > spamd?

    I am running spamd like this:

    /usr/bin/spamd -d -m 4 --max-conn-per-child=50 -timeout-child=180 -u
    mailuser

    That's a maximum of 4 spamd child processes and they restart after 50
    connections each. The processes are using 60-65M each.

    Drop your maximum number of children until the system runs without using
    swap. You could also drop any unnecessary 3rd party rulesets to lower
    the memory consumption of each process. If you can't keep it out of
    swap, you should consider adding some memory. My system has 1GB of ram,
    but the only things running are the mailserver, spamd, clamd, and named.
    I have some swap space available, but it is never used.

    --
    Bowie

  2. Re: Memory Leak?

    That's a great suggestion, Bowie. I'm going to give that a shot.

    Now that you bring up connections per child... how many usually occur
    or can occur if I don't specify? I seem to have missed that in the man
    pages.

    I'm running 4gb on my system all this week (up from 1gb originally)
    and have a total of 8gb in my hot little hands to install if need be.

    And I too am only using my mailserver, spamd, clamd, named, but I also
    run freshclamd which updates the viral database four times a day.

    Ron Smith
    postmaster@pmbx.net

    "Having an email problem is painful, but character-building."

    On Jul 25, 2008, at 10:54 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

    > I am running spamd like this:
    >
    > /usr/bin/spamd -d -m 4 --max-conn-per-child=50 -timeout-child=180 -u
    > mailuser
    >
    > That's a maximum of 4 spamd child processes and they restart after 50
    > connections each. The processes are using 60-65M each.
    >
    > Drop your maximum number of children until the system runs without
    > using
    > swap. You could also drop any unnecessary 3rd party rulesets to lower
    > the memory consumption of each process. If you can't keep it out of
    > swap, you should consider adding some memory. My system has 1GB of
    > ram,
    > but the only things running are the mailserver, spamd, clamd, and
    > named.
    > I have some swap space available, but it is never used.

+ Reply to Thread