> What parameters do you use to start spamd?

"Nevermind" you just told us.

It might help if you used the > and < keys in top to sort by %MEM.
These are my top few lines here on a 1 gigabyte machine:

11653 root 20 0 67024 58m 2884 S 0.0 5.7 0:26.75 spamd
19970 named 20 0 88584 50m 2220 S 0.0 5.0 20:30.11 named
11701 root 20 0 56972 48m 2684 S 0.0 4.8 4:15.79 spamd
3202 root 20 0 71068 47m 1172 S 0.0 4.7 16:58.28 clamd.SA
12197 root 20 0 56972 46m 640 S 0.0 4.6 0:00.00 spamd
29400 root 20 0 99.8m 35m 4848 S 0.0 3.5 7:55.31 X

The spamd memory percentage numbers might help us to know.

In the meantime your numbers seem somewhat odd. Unfortunately the
accounting in your activity monitor is useless. It does not tell
what command perl is running that is taking so much memory. It
appears "mdworker", whatever that is, eats a lot. So do some other
odd items which suggest this is a machine servicing far more than
email only.

Also do you have any SpamAssassin Rules Emporium rule sets that are
active? And if so which ones?

Another idea comes to mind, is there some form of "accounting" running
on the machine which might intentionally slow the the machine?

{^_^} Joanne