DNS Tests not always getting done - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on DNS Tests not always getting done - SpamAssassin ; mouss wrote: > Skip wrote: >> >> >> mouss wrote: >>> Skip wrote: >>>> [snip] >>>> Anyway, please bear with me as I do have a few more questions. In >>>> this thread before, some people thought I should look ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: DNS Tests not always getting done

    mouss wrote:
    > Skip wrote:
    >>

    >> mouss wrote:
    >>>
    >>> try:
    >>>
    >>> $ host 2.0.0.127.zen.spmahaus.org
    >>> 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org has address 127.0.0.4
    >>> 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org has address 127.0.0.10
    >>> 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org has address 127.0.0.2
    >>>

    >>> BTW, what DNS server(s) are you using?

    >> I got this:
    >> $ host 2.0.0.127.zen.spmahaus.org
    >> Host 2.0.0.127.zen.spmahaus.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    >>

    > my bad, it's spamhaus, not spmahaus.
    >

    >> That can't be good.

    > it's good for now try with the correct name...
    >
    >> I do not know what dns server we are using at bluehost.

    > First, look in your /etc/resolv.conf. this will show you where the
    > nameservers are.
    >
    >> I did a ps and searched for anything that looked like a dns server,
    >> but couldn't find any. Sometimes it can really suck being on a
    >> shared system like this.

    > Running a mail server on a shared system is problematic. if you only
    > do filtering (and not MX or submission), it should work provided you
    > get the DNS right.

    my nameservers are running on different boxes other than this one. This
    box just has the web and mail servers. Typical shared system. I ran
    the host command a few times and got two different responses.

    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    domain bluehost.com
    search bluehost.com
    nameserver 74.220.195.37
    nameserver 74.220.195.38
    nameserver 74.220.195.39
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    Host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org

    As for the CPU exceeded error that a few of you got (if you went to
    website, pelorus.org), that happens occasionally if I am doing something
    CPU intensive. Not related to this--at least I don't think it is. I'm
    pretty sure all they do is stop serving up web pages when you get a in
    CPU exceeded situation. I don't think they'd turn off internal DNS lookups.

    I sure do appreciate the help you guys are giving me here. Thanks a
    bunch!

    Skip

    --
    Get my PGP Public key here:
    http://pelorus.org/skip@pelorus.org_public_key.asc

  2. Re: DNS Tests not always getting done

    @pelorus.org>
    Skip wrote on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:57:22 -0400:

    > I'm
    > pretty sure all they do is stop serving up web pages when you get a in
    > CPU exceeded situation. I don't think they'd turn off internal DNS lookups.

    Why not? They sure throttle new processes/open files etc, there's no other way
    of ensuring you don't exceed the limit(s).
    You should really take this up with your host. It looks like you have two
    problems:
    - you regularly exceed those limits
    - the DNS either being overloaded or cut off by Spamhaus

    Kai

    --
    Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

  3. Re: DNS Tests not always getting done

    Skip wrote:

    > mouss wrote:
    >> Skip wrote:

    >>> I got this:
    >>> $ host 2.0.0.127.zen.spmahaus.org
    >>> Host 2.0.0.127.zen.spmahaus.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    >>>

    >> my bad, it's spamhaus, not spmahaus.
    >>

    >>> That can't be good.

    >> it's good for now try with the correct name...
    >>
    >>> I do not know what dns server we are using at bluehost.

    >> First, look in your /etc/resolv.conf. this will show you where the
    >> nameservers are.
    >>
    >>> I did a ps and searched for anything that looked like a dns server,
    >>> but couldn't find any. Sometimes it can really suck being on a
    >>> shared system like this.

    >> Running a mail server on a shared system is problematic. if you only
    >> do filtering (and not MX or submission), it should work provided you
    >> get the DNS right.
    >>

    > my nameservers are running on different boxes other than this one. This
    > box just has the web and mail servers. Typical shared system. I ran
    > the host command a few times and got two different responses.
    >
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    > domain bluehost.com
    > search bluehost.com
    > nameserver 74.220.195.37
    > nameserver 74.220.195.38
    > nameserver 74.220.195.39
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    > Host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org

    so you have a DNS problem.

    if you can run a dns server on your shared host, do so. otherwise, you
    can't use dns tests reliably.

    > As for the CPU exceeded error that a few of you got (if you went to
    > website, pelorus.org), that happens occasionally if I am doing something
    > CPU intensive.

    This is silly. they should block cpu intensive tasks, not simple web pages.

    > Not related to this--at least I don't think it is. I'm
    > pretty sure all they do is stop serving up web pages when you get a in
    > CPU exceeded situation.

    I am curious to see how they implement this!

    > I don't think they'd turn off internal DNS
    > lookups.

    DNS lookup should be free if not abused. it's not a cpu issue.

  4. Re: DNS Tests not always getting done

    I thought you guys would like a little humor. Here's what I sent my
    host and what I got in response. *sigh*

    Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck with them.

    FROM:
    SITE: pelorus.org
    ADDR: 68.231.250.115

    Why would I be getting this on box106?

    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    Host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org

    I would like to use the spamhaus services with my spamassassin setup,
    but for some reason, I can't connect to them at all from my box. Any ideas?

    Skip

    And their response......

    Good day,

    Since we are not SPAMHAUS.ORG we are not sure why you would be unable to
    connect to there site. They are the filter that all of the mail go
    through before it hits our servers. If you are unable to view the site
    try going to a different connection to see if you can get to
    spamhaus.org. If you are there must be a block from your IP that you
    will need to contact them about.

    Thanks,

    --
    Get my PGP Public key here:
    http://pelorus.org/skip@pelorus.org_public_key.asc

  5. Re: DNS Tests not always getting done

    On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 17:58 -0400, Skip wrote:
    > I thought you guys would like a little humor. Here's what I sent my
    > host and what I got in response. *sigh*
    >
    > Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck with them.
    >
    > FROM:
    > SITE: pelorus.org
    > ADDR: 68.231.250.115
    >
    > Why would I be getting this on box106?
    >
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    > Host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    >
    > I would like to use the spamhaus services with my spamassassin setup,
    > but for some reason, I can't connect to them at all from my box. Any ideas?

    This probably is, what confused them. Don't have the entire thread in
    mind, but IIRC the issue is, that the shared DNS you are using returns
    this. Thus, you are not directly contacting spamhaus DNS servers. Your
    provider is...

    I'd try explaining the issue providing "slightly" more details. And try
    not to sound like a user who got problems using his web-browser. ;-)

    guenther

    --
    char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0.@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a \x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
    main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i (c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

  6. Re: DNS Tests not always getting done

    At 14:58 21-07-2008, Skip wrote:
    >I thought you guys would like a little humor. Here's what I sent my
    >host and what I got in response. *sigh*

    What response did you expect? :-)

    Regards,
    -sm

  7. Re: DNS Tests not always getting done

    Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
    > On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 17:58 -0400, Skip wrote:
    >
    >> I thought you guys would like a little humor. Here's what I sent my
    >> host and what I got in response. *sigh*
    >>
    >> Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck with them.
    >>
    >> FROM:
    >> SITE: pelorus.org
    >> ADDR: 68.231.250.115
    >>
    >> Why would I be getting this on box106?
    >>
    >> peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    >> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    >> peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    >> Host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
    >> peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    >> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    >>
    >> I would like to use the spamhaus services with my spamassassin setup,
    >> but for some reason, I can't connect to them at all from my box. Any ideas?
    >>

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > This probably is, what confused them. Don't have the entire thread in
    > mind, but IIRC the issue is, that the shared DNS you are using returns
    > this. Thus, you are not directly contacting spamhaus DNS servers. Your
    > provider is...
    >
    > I'd try explaining the issue providing "slightly" more details. And try
    > not to sound like a user who got problems using his web-browser. ;-)
    >
    > guenther

    Well, it just gets better. I sent this back to them and got the
    following reply:

    I'm sorry, you didn't understand my question. I can see their website
    just fine from my home computer. What I am talking about is
    when I ssh into box 106, I cannot resolve spamhaus for some reason. I
    don't know why bluehost's nameserver is not finding spamhaus.org.

    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    domain bluehost.com
    search bluehost.com
    nameserver 74.220.195.37
    nameserver 74.220.195.38
    nameserver 74.220.195.39
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
    Host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org

    Hello,

    I apologize for the problems you are experiencing, thank you for your patience.

    You may need to contact your ISP and or spamhaus.org to get information regarding

    your inability to connect to them, typically timing out is indicative of your ISP.

    Anyway, forget them. I am on my own again. I ran a few other
    commands. What do you think of this?

    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.yahoo.com
    Host 2.0.0.127.yahoo.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.google.com
    Host 2.0.0.127.google.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.pelorus.org
    Host 2.0.0.127.pelorus.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.bluehost.com
    Host 2.0.0.127.bluehost.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

    I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with the host command, so maybe these
    commands don't mean a thing. But I do know that I get positive hits on
    spamcop all the time (on real spam messages, that is), so I can do some
    dns tests in SA.

    Skip

    --
    Get my PGP Public key here:
    http://pelorus.org/skip@pelorus.org_public_key.asc

  8. Re: DNS Tests not always getting done

    Skip wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Anyway, forget them. I am on my own again. I ran a few other
    > commands. What do you think of this?
    >
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.yahoo.com
    > Host 2.0.0.127.yahoo.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.google.com
    > Host 2.0.0.127.google.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.pelorus.org
    > Host 2.0.0.127.pelorus.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    > peloruso@pelorus.org [~]# host 2.0.0.127.bluehost.com
    > Host 2.0.0.127.bluehost.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

    this is normal. the 2.0.0.127 is only for (some) IP DNSBLs.

    > I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with the host command,

    it's a replacement of the old nslookup.

    > so maybe these
    > commands don't mean a thing. But I do know that I get positive hits on
    > spamcop all the time (on real spam messages, that is), so I can do some
    > dns tests in SA.
    >
    > Skip

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2