orphaned .tmp files in the submission folder - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on orphaned .tmp files in the submission folder - SpamAssassin ; Hello again. I have not received any feedback from anyone. I would really appreciate any help. I'm using spamc/spamd with CommuniGate Pro. When spamd puts the file in the submission folder it USUALLY gets a .sub extension applied within a ...

  1. orphaned .tmp files in the submission folder

    Hello again. I have not received any feedback from anyone. I would
    really appreciate any help.

    I'm using spamc/spamd with CommuniGate Pro. When spamd puts the file
    in the submission folder it USUALLY gets a .sub extension applied
    within a minute or two. However I am seeing orphaned files that are
    both non-spam and spam that just get left as .tmp files. Many times
    these files have multiple .tmp extensions (up to 9 or 10 of them) as
    though spamd just coughed and started over.

    Currently I'm examining these files and deleting the spam and using a
    drag and drop renaming utility to manually submit (add the .sub
    extensions) these files a couple of times a day.

    Why is this happening and what settings changes will stop it? I've
    tried more spamd children and less spamd children. I've turned
    autowhitelisting off and on. I've checked all the mysql spamassassin
    database files and they are in working order.

    Here's the Startup.sh script that CommuniGate pro runs with variations
    of the spamd command that I've tried:

    #!/bin/sh
    ################################################## ##########################
    #SpamAssassin daemonstartup

    spamd -d -x -q -u nobody -x -m 5 -r /var/Communigate/spamdprocessid
    #spamd -d -x -q -u nobody -x -m 8 --ident-timeout=15 -r /var/
    Communigate/spamdprocessid
    #spamd -d -x -Q -m 8 --ident-timeout=15 -r /var/Communigate/
    spamdprocessid

    My hardware/software setup is as follow:

    Mac OS X 10.5.4 client
    4 gb ram
    spamd with up to 5 children
    CommuniGate Pro 5.2.5
    SpamAssassin 3.2.5

  2. Re: orphaned .tmp files in the submission folder

    At 17:34 16-07-2008, Ron Smith wrote:
    >I'm using spamc/spamd with CommuniGate Pro. When spamd puts the file
    >in the submission folder it USUALLY gets a .sub extension applied
    >within a minute or two. However I am seeing orphaned files that are
    >both non-spam and spam that just get left as .tmp files. Many times
    >these files have multiple .tmp extensions (up to 9 or 10 of them) as
    >though spamd just coughed and started over.

    spamd does not put files in folders. spamc sends the contents of the
    file to spamd. The contents are evaluated and the results are
    returned back to spamc.

    You can enable debugging in spamd to see what is happening at that
    end. Find out what process is creating those .tmp files. The
    process should usually do the cleaning up.

    The probability of getting feedback is higher if you provide
    technical information such as log entries which demonstrate what is
    going on. If it's a spamd configuration problem, you can get the
    debug output by following http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/HowToDebug

    Regards,
    -sm

  3. Re: orphaned .tmp files in the submission folder

    Thanks, SM.

    spamassassin --lint has always returned no issues with the rules.
    spamassassin -D --lint returns a 304 line log file which I can provide
    if requested. Other than the failure with Net::Ident (which refuses to
    install under CPAN because it fails the make test), there is nothing
    there that seems to be an issue.

    But if what you say is true of spamc being responsible for the actual
    file creation and placement in the submission folder, then it would
    appear to be a spamc issue entirely. Or the interaction between the
    scanspam.sh script in the CommuniGate folder which

    I'm assuming that the spamc is probably failing, sending the .tmp file
    back to the Submitted folder and CommuniGate is then reprocessing the
    message and sending it back to scanspam.sh and so again to spamc.

    Now to figure out why spamc is failing on these messages.

    Question though: does spamc return any email back to the submitted
    folder with extra .tmp suffixes at any time or for any reason?

    Here's the working line in the scanspam.sh script that calls spamc:

    /var/CommuniGate/spam/spamprep "$myCgate/$QueuePath" "$ReturnPath"
    "$Username" | /usr/bin/spamc -d 127.0.0.1 -t 800 -u "$Username" >>
    "$myCgate/Submitted/$NewFile"

    Thanks,

    Ron

    On Jul 17, 2008, at 3:39 AM, SM wrote:

    > At 17:34 16-07-2008, Ron Smith wrote:
    >> I'm using spamc/spamd with CommuniGate Pro. When spamd puts the file
    >> in the submission folder it USUALLY gets a .sub extension applied
    >> within a minute or two. However I am seeing orphaned files that are
    >> both non-spam and spam that just get left as .tmp files. Many times
    >> these files have multiple .tmp extensions (up to 9 or 10 of them) as
    >> though spamd just coughed and started over.

    > spamd does not put files in folders. spamc sends the contents of
    > the file to spamd. The contents are evaluated and the results are
    > returned back to spamc.
    >
    > You can enable debugging in spamd to see what is happening at that
    > end. Find out what process is creating those .tmp files. The
    > process should usually do the cleaning up.
    >
    > The probability of getting feedback is higher if you provide
    > technical information such as log entries which demonstrate what is
    > going on. If it's a spamd configuration problem, you can get the
    > debug output by following http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/HowToDebug
    >
    > Regards,
    > -sm

  4. Re: orphaned .tmp files in the submission folder

    Ron Smith schrieb am 17.07.2008 14:28:

    > I'm assuming that the spamc is probably failing, sending the .tmp file
    > back to the Submitted folder and CommuniGate is then reprocessing the
    > message and sending it back to scanspam.sh and so again to spamc.
    >
    > Now to figure out why spamc is failing on these messages.
    >
    > Question though: does spamc return any email back to the submitted
    > folder with extra .tmp suffixes at any time or for any reason?

    Spamc is only a filter that gets a message from standard input and
    passes it (with SpamAssassin headers added) back to standard output.
    Additionally, it gives a scan success/failure return code.

    Spamc is not reading messages from files nor bouncing messages. It is
    simply adding a few headers to the given message, so that other programs
    can detect what SpamAssassin thinks of the spamminess of a message.

    The caller of spamc is responsible for reading a message from a file or
    a mail queue and for writing the updated message back to where it should
    go. So I suggest you move your question to a Communigate support list,
    since it seems that there is a problem with the calling of spamc, not
    with spamc itself.

    Tschau
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread