Clamav Plugin for Spamassassin - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on Clamav Plugin for Spamassassin - SpamAssassin ; Spamassassin/Clamav/Ubuntu/PHP5/Apache2/citadel/ I just installed spamassasin and tested it with gtube and it worked, but when I tried to install clamav it still lets the EICAR files through. I read through old posts and everything on the spamassassin site and still ...

  1. Clamav Plugin for Spamassassin

    Spamassassin/Clamav/Ubuntu/PHP5/Apache2/citadel/

    I just installed spamassasin and tested it with gtube and it worked, but
    when I tried to install clamav it still lets the EICAR files through. I
    read through old posts and everything on the spamassassin site and still
    cannot get it to work.

    Any suggestions on what I am not doing correctly are greatly appreciated.

    The steps I took:
    filescanclamav is a pearl module, so I had to use CPAN to install it.

    Then, I created the files clamav.cf and clamav.pm with the text from
    http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ClamAVPlugin.

    Placed the two files in the /etc/spamassassin directory.

    Made the recommended change to clamav.pm: our $CLAMD_SOCK =
    "/var/run/clamav/clamd.ctdl"; # changed

    Restarted spamassassin. grep shows spamassassin.

    Sent EICAR AV text test and it still doesn't do anything.

  2. Re: Clamav Plugin for Spamassassin

    On 6/22/08 9:30 PM, "metamorph" wrote:

    > Spamassassin/Clamav/Ubuntu/PHP5/Apache2/citadel/
    >
    > I just installed spamassasin and tested it with gtube and it worked, but
    > when I tried to install clamav it still lets the EICAR files through. I
    > read through old posts and everything on the spamassassin site and still
    > cannot get it to work.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what I am not doing correctly are greatly appreciated.
    >
    > The steps I took:
    > filescanclamav is a pearl module, so I had to use CPAN to install it.
    >
    > Then, I created the files clamav.cf and clamav.pm with the text from
    > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ClamAVPlugin.
    >
    > Placed the two files in the /etc/spamassassin directory.
    >
    > Made the recommended change to clamav.pm: our $CLAMD_SOCK =
    > "/var/run/clamav/clamd.ctdl"; # changed
    >
    > Restarted spamassassin. grep shows spamassassin.
    >
    > Sent EICAR AV text test and it still doesn't do anything.

    Got any headers to show that it's actually piping through ClamAV? (hint:
    look for X-Spam-Virus

    J~

  3. Re: Clamav Plugin for Spamassassin

    James Lay wrote:

    > On 6/22/08 9:30 PM, "metamorph" wrote:
    >

    >> Spamassassin/Clamav/Ubuntu/PHP5/Apache2/citadel/
    >>
    >> I just installed spamassasin and tested it with gtube and it worked, but
    >> when I tried to install clamav it still lets the EICAR files through. I
    >> read through old posts and everything on the spamassassin site and still
    >> cannot get it to work.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on what I am not doing correctly are greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> The steps I took:
    >> filescanclamav is a pearl module, so I had to use CPAN to install it.
    >>
    >> Then, I created the files clamav.cf and clamav.pm with the text from
    >> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ClamAVPlugin.
    >>
    >> Placed the two files in the /etc/spamassassin directory.
    >>
    >> Made the recommended change to clamav.pm: our $CLAMD_SOCK =
    >> "/var/run/clamav/clamd.ctdl"; # changed
    >>
    >> Restarted spamassassin. grep shows spamassassin.
    >>
    >> Sent EICAR AV text test and it still doesn't do anything.
    >>

    > Got any headers to show that it's actually piping through ClamAV? (hint:
    > look for X-Spam-Virus
    > J~
    >
    > Citadel does not support headers, so it just sends the email back or
    > deletes it.

    Any other suggestions on how to check if it is piping through clamav and how
    to set it if it is not are greatly appreciated. Do I need to post any other
    info ?

  4. Re: Clamav Plugin for Spamassassin

    metamorph wrote:
    > James Lay wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/22/08 9:30 PM, "metamorph" wrote:
    >>

    >>> Spamassassin/Clamav/Ubuntu/PHP5/Apache2/citadel/
    >>>
    >>> I just installed spamassasin and tested it with gtube and it worked, but
    >>> when I tried to install clamav it still lets the EICAR files through. I
    >>> read through old posts and everything on the spamassassin site and still
    >>> cannot get it to work.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions on what I am not doing correctly are greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> The steps I took:
    >>> filescanclamav is a pearl module, so I had to use CPAN to install it.
    >>>
    >>> Then, I created the files clamav.cf and clamav.pm with the text from
    >>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ClamAVPlugin.
    >>>
    >>> Placed the two files in the /etc/spamassassin directory.
    >>>
    >>> Made the recommended change to clamav.pm: our $CLAMD_SOCK =
    >>> "/var/run/clamav/clamd.ctdl"; # changed
    >>>
    >>> Restarted spamassassin. grep shows spamassassin.
    >>>
    >>> Sent EICAR AV text test and it still doesn't do anything.
    >>>

    >> Got any headers to show that it's actually piping through ClamAV? (hint:
    >> look for X-Spam-Virus
    >> J~
    >>
    >> Citadel does not support headers, so it just sends the email back or
    >> deletes it.
    >>

    > Any other suggestions on how to check if it is piping through clamav and how
    > to set it if it is not are greatly appreciated. Do I need to post any other
    > info ?

    1. Create test file with the EICAR test included.
    2. Run spamassassin -D < $testfile
    3. Read through the output thoroughly

    or
    1. spamassassin -D --lint : this should show if the plugin loaded.

    rcr

  5. Re: Clamav Plugin for Spamassassin

    Randy Ramsdell wrote:

    > metamorph wrote:
    >> James Lay wrote:

    >>> Got any headers to show that it's actually piping through ClamAV?
    >>> (hint:
    >>> look for X-Spam-Virus
    >>> J~
    >>>
    >>> Citadel does not support headers, so it just sends the email back or
    >>> deletes it.
    >>>

    >> Any other suggestions on how to check if it is piping through clamav and
    >> how
    >> to set it if it is not are greatly appreciated. Do I need to post any
    >> other
    >> info ?
    >>

    > 1. Create test file with the EICAR test included.
    > 2. Run spamassassin -D < $testfile
    > 3. Read through the output thoroughly
    >
    > or
    > 1. spamassassin -D --lint : this should show if the plugin loaded.

    Thanks for the reply

    I think this is the important section from the above command (spamassassin
    -D --lint):
    [6680] warn: plugin: failed to parse plugin /etc/spamassassin/clamav.pm:
    Can't locate /etc/spamassassin/clamav.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
    /usr/share/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8
    /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8
    /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at
    /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/PluginHandler.pm line 107.

    PluginHandler.pm line 107:
    dbg("plugin: loading $package from $path");
    # use require instead of "do", so we get built-in $INC{filename}
    # smarts
    $ret = eval { require $path; };
    }

    So, I guess the plugin is not getting loaded. Any suggestions on how to
    make it connect together.
    I really appreciate your help.