trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update - SpamAssassin ; ...

  1. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update

  2. trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update

    I see the following when running sa-update with debug flags:

    [20528] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is recommended
    that you configure trusted_networks manually

    However:

    # grep trusted /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
    trusted_networks 69.55.228.210

    --lint does not complain, and I know that local.cf is being otherwise
    interpreted by SA because custom rules contained therein are scoring.

    --
    Sahil Tandon

  3. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 01:10:53 -0400, Sahil Tandon
    wrote:

    >I see the following when running sa-update with debug flags:
    >
    >[20528] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is recommended
    >that you configure trusted_networks manually
    >
    >However:
    >
    ># grep trusted /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
    >trusted_networks 69.55.228.210

    I could be very wrong here, it wouldn't be the 1st time; but isn't the
    main local.cf in /etc/mail/spamassassin/

    Per user may work differently, I'm not sure, my version of per user is
    handled by the MTA and a MySQL Database for users (Windows based mail
    server --> CentOS based SA)

    Might that be why sa-update is showing the error?

    >--lint does not complain, and I know that local.cf is being otherwise
    >interpreted by SA because custom rules contained therein are scoring.

  4. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according tosa-update

    Nigel Frankcom wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 01:10:53 -0400, Sahil Tandon
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I see the following when running sa-update with debug flags:
    > >
    > >[20528] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is recommended
    > >that you configure trusted_networks manually
    > >
    > >However:
    > >
    > ># grep trusted /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
    > >trusted_networks 69.55.228.210

    > I could be very wrong here, it wouldn't be the 1st time; but isn't the
    > main local.cf in /etc/mail/spamassassin/

    Not in FreeBSD. And again, I know the local.cf *is* being interpreted
    because its other contents affect SA.

    --
    Sahil Tandon

  5. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update

    On 21/06/2008 1:10 AM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
    > I see the following when running sa-update with debug flags:
    >
    > [20528] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is recommended
    > that you configure trusted_networks manually

    This is expected and intentional. Your local cf files are not used to
    lint the rulesets. Your pre files, however, are.

    > However:
    >
    > # grep trusted /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
    > trusted_networks 69.55.228.210
    >
    > --lint does not complain, and I know that local.cf is being otherwise
    > interpreted by SA because custom rules contained therein are scoring.

    Yes, this is also the expected and intentional behaviour. Everything is
    working as it should.

    Daryl

  6. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update

    > On 21/06/2008 1:10 AM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
    >> I see the following when running sa-update with debug
    >> flags:
    >>
    >> [20528] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured;
    >> it is recommended that you configure trusted_networks
    >> manually

    > This is expected and intentional. Your local cf files
    > are not used to lint the rulesets. Your pre files,
    > however, are.
    >

    >> However:
    >>
    >> # grep trusted /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
    >> trusted_networks 69.55.228.210
    >>
    >> --lint does not complain, and I know that local.cf is
    >> being otherwise interpreted by SA because custom rules
    >> contained therein are scoring.

    > Yes, this is also the expected and intentional behaviour.
    > Everything is working as it should.
    >
    > Daryl

    Should? What good is that lint anyway if it can't be used to test local rules?

  7. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf,but not according to sa-update

    On Sat, June 21, 2008 20:05, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

    > Should? What good is that lint anyway if it can't be used to test local rules?

    spamassassin 2>&1 -D --lint | less

    does it confirm ?

    Benny Pedersen
    Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

  8. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update

    On 21/06/2008 2:05 PM, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
    >> On 21/06/2008 1:10 AM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
    >>> I see the following when running sa-update with debug
    >>> flags:
    >>>
    >>> [20528] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured;
    >>> it is recommended that you configure trusted_networks
    >>> manually

    >> This is expected and intentional. Your local cf files
    >> are not used to lint the rulesets. Your pre files,
    >> however, are.
    >>

    >>> However:
    >>>
    >>> # grep trusted /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
    >>> trusted_networks 69.55.228.210
    >>>
    >>> --lint does not complain, and I know that local.cf is
    >>> being otherwise interpreted by SA because custom rules
    >>> contained therein are scoring.

    >> Yes, this is also the expected and intentional behaviour.
    >> Everything is working as it should.
    >>
    >> Daryl

    > Should? What good is that lint anyway if it can't be used to test local rules?

    Yes. sa-update is specifically designed not to be concerned with your
    local rules. sa-update only cares if the *update* is valid (passes a
    lint test). It ignores your local cf files (since it doesn't care about
    them) but uses the pre files so that it can load any plugins that may be
    used by the *update* rulesets.

    If you want to lint your local rules (in your local cf files) use
    "spamassassin --lint" which will all [1] rules that are used by SA on
    your system. The sa-update lint is not meant to be (nor can I see a
    reason why you'd want it to be) used to lint test your local rules.

    [1] All system wide rules and the current user's per-user rules.

    Daryl

  9. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according tosa-update

    Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

    > On 21/06/2008 1:10 AM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
    > > I see the following when running sa-update with debug flags:
    > >
    > > [20528] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is recommended
    > > that you configure trusted_networks manually

    > This is expected and intentional. Your local cf files are not used to
    > lint the rulesets. Your pre files, however, are.

    Are trusted_networks generally set in any of the .pre files? If not, then
    why bother checking (and complaining about the absence of) trusted_networks
    if local.cf is not queried by sa-update's lint?

    --
    Sahil Tandon

  10. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according to sa-update

    On 21/06/2008 10:45 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
    > Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
    >
    >> On 21/06/2008 1:10 AM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
    >>> I see the following when running sa-update with debug flags:
    >>>
    >>> [20528] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is recommended
    >>> that you configure trusted_networks manually

    >> This is expected and intentional. Your local cf files are not used to
    >> lint the rulesets. Your pre files, however, are.

    > Are trusted_networks generally set in any of the .pre files? If not, then
    > why bother checking (and complaining about the absence of) trusted_networks
    > if local.cf is not queried by sa-update's lint?

    No, they should be set in a cf file. You could open a bug in bugzilla
    to request an enhancement to have this debug output avoided. It's
    really only cosmetic.

    http://issues.apache.org/SpamAssassin/

    Daryl

  11. Re: trusted_networks set in local.cf, but not according tosa-update

    Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

    > On 21/06/2008 10:45 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
    > > Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

    recommended
    > >> This is expected and intentional. Your local cf files are not used to
    > >> lint the rulesets. Your pre files, however, are.

    > > Are trusted_networks generally set in any of the .pre files? If not,

    then
    > > why bother checking (and complaining about the absence of)

    trusted_networks
    > > if local.cf is not queried by sa-update's lint?

    > No, they should be set in a cf file. You could open a bug in bugzilla
    > to request an enhancement to have this debug output avoided. It's
    > really only cosmetic.

    Cosmetic perhaps, but misleading for sure. I'll open a ticket; thanks.

    --
    Sahil Tandon

+ Reply to Thread