skip inbox ? - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on skip inbox ? - SpamAssassin ; Is it possible to somehow tell spamassassin to move all messages marked as spam directly into the spam/ham/trash folders ? The thing is I'm running backups on my mailbox and although I omit spam/ham/trash I do collect the mails from ...

  1. skip inbox ?

    Is it possible to somehow tell spamassassin to move all messages marked as
    spam directly into the spam/ham/trash folders ?
    The thing is I'm running backups on my mailbox and although I omit
    spam/ham/trash I do collect the mails from my inbox, and in most cases there
    are 40-50 messages with subjects starting with *****SPAM*****. I don't want
    to have theme there.

  2. Re: skip inbox ?

    almaren wrote:
    > Is it possible to somehow tell spamassassin to move all messages marked as
    > spam directly into the spam/ham/trash folders ?
    > The thing is I'm running backups on my mailbox and although I omit
    > spam/ham/trash I do collect the mails from my inbox, and in most cases there
    > are 40-50 messages with subjects starting with *****SPAM*****. I don't want
    > to have theme there.

    Spamassassin uses a local delivery agent to do this. We use procmail
    and created a recipe ( regex ) that moves all spam messages to the users
    spam folder. If you use a local ( not system wide ) setup, then simply
    create a filter in the e-mail client.

  3. Re: skip inbox ?

    On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 07:20 -0700, almaren wrote:
    > Is it possible to somehow tell spamassassin to move all messages marked as
    > spam directly into the spam/ham/trash folders ?

    No. The only thing SpamAssassin does is assign a score to the message.
    Some other tool looks at that score and decides what to do with the
    message.

    You didn't explain your MTA tool chain, so we have no idea how to
    recommend configuring it to change where messages scored as "spammy" get
    saved.

    Tell us what does delivery (e.g. procmail) in your environment and
    someone may be able to tell you how to configure delivery of spammy
    messages to a spam folder.

    > The thing is I'm running backups on my mailbox and although I omit
    > spam/ham/trash I do collect the mails from my inbox, and in most cases there
    > are 40-50 messages with subjects starting with *****SPAM*****. I don't want
    > to have theme there.

    Worst case, your mail client can probably support a rule that will move
    tagged messages to a different folder, or delete them.

    You are in a maze of twisty little protocols,
    all written by Microsoft.
    Today: SWMBO's Birthday

  4. Re: skip inbox ?

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, almaren wrote:

    > Is it possible to somehow tell spamassassin to move all messages marked as
    > spam directly into the spam/ham/trash folders ?
    > The thing is I'm running backups on my mailbox and although I omit
    > spam/ham/trash I do collect the mails from my inbox, and in most cases there
    > are 40-50 messages with subjects starting with *****SPAM*****. I don't want
    > to have theme there.

    This would have to be done in your MTA or something else. SpamAssassin
    just scans and provides header results.

  5. Re: skip inbox ?

    well first of all - thanks for the quick response

    John Hardin wrote:

    > You didn't explain your MTA tool chain, so we have no idea how to
    > recommend configuring it to change where messages scored as "spammy" get
    > saved.
    >
    > Tell us what does delivery (e.g. procmail) in your environment and
    > someone may be able to tell you how to configure delivery of spammy
    > messages to a spam folder.

    I'm running qmail as MTA and courier-imap, there is also procmail on the
    server.

    John Hardin wrote:

    > Worst case, your mail client can probably support a rule that will move
    > tagged messages to a different folder, or delete them.

    That's not an option for me, for it happens that I'm away from civilization
    for say couple of weeks, still my updates run twice a week, and you can
    imagine what the result is.

  6. Re: skip inbox ?

    On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 07:45 -0700, almaren wrote:

    > John Hardin wrote:
    > >
    > > Tell us what does delivery (e.g. procmail) in your environment and
    > > someone may be able to tell you how to configure delivery of spammy
    > > messages to a spam folder.

    > I'm running qmail as MTA and courier-imap, there is also procmail on the
    > server.

    Okay, so procmail does delivery.

    Here's the basic procmail rule:

    :0

    Add complexity as needed...

    Users mistake widespread adoption of Microsoft Office as the
    development of a standard document format.
    Today: SWMBO's Birthday

  7. OT: Re: skip inbox ?

    almaren wrote:
    > well first of all - thanks for the quick response
    >

    > John Hardin wrote:
    >
    >> You didn't explain your MTA tool chain, so we have no idea how to
    >> recommend configuring it to change where messages scored as "spammy" get
    >> saved.
    >>
    >> Tell us what does delivery (e.g. procmail) in your environment and
    >> someone may be able to tell you how to configure delivery of spammy
    >> messages to a spam folder.
    >>

    > I'm running qmail as MTA and courier-imap, there is also procmail on the
    > server.

    "/etc/procmailrc"

    SPAMIT="$HOME/Maildir/.SPAM/"

    :0:
    $SPAMIT

    This will send messages to a users .SPAM directory.
    You will have to create the directory in each users directory.

  8. Re: skip inbox ?

    alright, thanks one more time

  9. Re: skip inbox ?

    > almaren wrote:
    >> Is it possible to somehow tell spamassassin to move all
    >> messages marked as spam directly into the spam/ham/trash
    >> folders ?
    >> The thing is I'm running backups on my mailbox and
    >> although I omit spam/ham/trash I do collect the mails
    >> from my inbox, and in most cases there are 40-50
    >> messages with subjects starting with *****SPAM*****. I
    >> don't want to have theme there.
    >>

    > Spamassassin uses a local delivery agent to do this. We
    > use procmail and created a recipe ( regex ) that moves
    > all spam messages to the users spam folder. If you use a
    > local ( not system wide ) setup, then simply create a
    > filter in the e-mail client.

    SpamAssassin does NOT use local delivery agent. But local delivery agent may use SpamAssassin, and then forward messages according to SA originated headers.

  10. Re: skip inbox ?

    Jari Fredriksson wrote:
    >> almaren wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to somehow tell spamassassin to move all
    >>> messages marked as spam directly into the spam/ham/trash
    >>> folders ?
    >>> The thing is I'm running backups on my mailbox and
    >>> although I omit spam/ham/trash I do collect the mails
    >>> from my inbox, and in most cases there are 40-50
    >>> messages with subjects starting with *****SPAM*****. I
    >>> don't want to have theme there.
    >>>

    >> Spamassassin uses a local delivery agent to do this. We
    >> use procmail and created a recipe ( regex ) that moves
    >> all spam messages to the users spam folder. If you use a
    >> local ( not system wide ) setup, then simply create a
    >> filter in the e-mail client.
    >>

    > SpamAssassin does NOT use local delivery agent. But local delivery agent may use SpamAssassin, and then forward messages according to SA originated headers.

    Yes. I should have written that spamassassin sends the message back to
    postfix or whatever and this is what sends to the local delivery agent.

+ Reply to Thread