blocking country domains. - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on blocking country domains. - SpamAssassin ; ...

  1. Re: blocking country domains.

  2. blocking country domains.

    Is there a way to just block email coming from .de domains?
    I have been individually adding those to my blacklist but I was wondering if
    there was a catchall for just anything coming from .de

    Thanks

  3. Re: blocking country domains.

    On 17.06.08 08:47, raulbe wrote:
    > Is there a way to just block email coming from .de domains?

    Why? That may be a very bad idea. There surely are different rules and
    configurations that may

    > I have been individually adding those to my blacklist but I was wondering if
    > there was a catchall for just anything coming from .de

    We are but packets in the Internet of life (userfriendly.org)

  4. Re: blocking country domains.

    * raulbe :

    > Is there a way to just block email coming from .de domains?

    Oh come on Do that in your MTA.

    --
    Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums) Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
    Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155

  5. Re: blocking country domains.

    raulbe wrote:
    > Is there a way to just block email coming from .de domains?

    Probably - in your MTA. Maybe a procmail recipe.

    > I have been individually adding those to my blacklist but I was wondering if
    > there was a catchall for just anything coming from .de

    Your call. Bad idea, IMHO. But Spamassassin doesn't *block*.

  6. Re: blocking country domains.

    On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 18:32 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
    > * raulbe :
    > >
    > > Is there a way to just block email coming from .de domains?

    > Oh come on Do that in your MTA.

    Right. And don't get either of these replies. ;-) [1]

    Anyway, what you just requested is WAY too broad and intrusive. You will
    get FPs. I hope no one will just tell you, how to write a SA rule as
    easy as matching on a ccTLD in the From: header. If you can't come up
    with such a rule yourself, clearly, you don't understand the impact this
    might have either. [2]

    Oh, and just for the record: SpamAssassin does NOT block. *sigh* It
    merely scores mail. Any action whatsoever is the duty of other tools in
    your mail processing chain.

    guenther

    [1] No, wait. The OP is using Nabble. So he wants us to reply and help
    him, but he doesn't want out mail. Smart move [2] to use a forum
    thingy so blocking entire countries doesn't block answers...

    [2] Sarcasm intended.

    --
    char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0.@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a \x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
    main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i (c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

  7. Re: blocking country domains.

    raulbe wrote:

    > Is there a way to just block email coming from .de domains?
    > I have been individually adding those to my blacklist but I was wondering if
    > there was a catchall for just anything coming from .de

    This is better accomplished with your MTA before mail is processed by SA.
    Your question expectedly triggered a flood of passionate responses and
    encouragement against rejecting all mail from any country. That is generally
    good advice; unless, for example, you are a postmaster for a client who has
    asked for this feature. At the very least, try accepting email to abuse@ and
    postmaster@ even from .de addresses and educate your client about the perils
    (read: stupidity) of rejecting email from an entire country.

    --
    Sahil Tandon

  8. Re: blocking country domains.

    >> Is there a way to just block email coming from .de domains?
    >> I have been individually adding those to my blacklist but I was wondering if
    >> there was a catchall for just anything coming from .de

    Hi,

    as someone who sends abuse reports from .de, I often get rejections based on the kind
    of policy you want. Now, what is my next step? submit the non-functional abuse@ address
    to rfci.org? send the abuse message by snail mail and put some explosives in the letter?

    Blocking entire countries is a very bad idea

    Wolfgang

  9. Re: blocking country domains.

    On Wed, June 18, 2008 06:43, hamann.w@t-online.de wrote:

    > Blocking entire countries is a very bad idea

    all this thread forget one single thing, tlds have nothing to do with countries

    even if i was in us i could still post to maillist with a email that ends in .de

    wake up all :-)

    Benny Pedersen
    Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

  10. Re: blocking country domains.

    On 18.06.08 04:43, hamann.w@t-online.de wrote:
    > as someone who sends abuse reports from .de, I often get rejections based
    > on the kind of policy you want. Now, what is my next step?

    This already happened to me too. My next step was blocking the IDIOT who
    allowed its users to spam me, but refused to take complaints.

    > submit the non-functional abuse@ address to rfci.org?

    I am not sure if RFCi will take such submissions, but it's quite possible.
    I already use RFCI blacklists to block mail from companies I can't later
    complain to. Too bad that SA rules don't use abuse.rfc-ignorant.org anymore.
    I'd use such rule just because of policy reasons
    (not onto sender's domain, onto sending hosts RDNS).

    > Blocking entire countries is a very bad idea

    I think many people agree with that.

    M$ Win's are ****, do not use it !

  11. Re: blocking country domains.

    Thanks i guess.

    I found a solution that has helped me reduce the amount of spam my sever was
    getting from .de domains. It has been around 80% effective but it works.
    I find this mailing list very useful. being a sort of newbie to spam
    assassin I had asked a general question but I did not expect the amount of
    sarcastic responses this question recieved. A simple "this is not a good
    idea and here is why.." would of suffice but thanks again to those who were
    helpful.

    raulbe wrote:

    > Is there a way to just block email coming from .de domains?
    > I have been individually adding those to my blacklist but I was wondering
    > if there was a catchall for just anything coming from .de
    >
    > Thanks

  12. Re: blocking country domains.

    Quoting raulbe :

    > Thanks i guess.
    >
    > ... sarcastic responses this question recieved. A simple "this is not a good
    > idea and here is why.." would of suffice but thanks again to those who were
    > helpful.

    Think of it as "hazing the new guy" or "good natured ribbing".
    especially from the german readers. You have to admit that asking a
    bunch of german users how to block the ".de" domain *is* a little funny.

    jp

    --
    Framework? I don't need no steenking framework!

    @fferent Security Labs: Isolate/Insulate/Innovate
    http://www.afferentsecurity.com

  13. Re: blocking country domains.

    On Donnerstag, 19. Juni 2008 mouss wrote:
    > - add selected SARE rules to SA. Incidentally, there is a german rule
    > file.

    And if you add them and ZMI_GERMAN and you STILL get german spam
    through, please contact me and we'll work on it. I maintain the
    ZMI_GERMAN ruleset, and in combination with SARE rules and sa-update
    there should be almost no german spam passing.

    mfg zmi
    --
    // Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc ----- http://it-management.at
    // Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31 .network.your.ideas.

+ Reply to Thread