sa-update and location of rules - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on sa-update and location of rules - SpamAssassin ; Hi, running FreeBSD I have two directories with rules in it: /usr/local/share/spamassassin /var/db/spamassassin/3.002005/updates_spamassassin_org Which is the correct directory, which rules are used? Thanks, Helmut -- No Swen today, my love has gone away My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol ...

  1. sa-update and location of rules

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  2. Re: sa-update and location of rules

    On 16/06/2008 10:12 AM, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > running FreeBSD I have two directories with rules in it:
    >
    > /usr/local/share/spamassassin
    > /var/db/spamassassin/3.002005/updates_spamassassin_org
    >
    > Which is the correct directory, which rules are used?

    Both and both.

    Rules obtained via sa-update will be under /var but do not delete the
    files under /usr as they're still required.

    Daryl

  3. Re: sa-update and location of rules

    > From: Helmut Schneider
    > Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:12:48 +0200
    > Subject: sa-update and location of rules
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > running FreeBSD I have two directories with rules in it:
    >
    > /usr/local/share/spamassassin
    > /var/db/spamassassin/3.002005/updates_spamassassin_org
    >
    > Which is the correct directory, which rules are used?

    SpamAssassin will use the default, distributed rules in
    /usr/local/share/spamassassin plus /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin UNTIL
    YOU RUN SA-UPDATE.

    Then it uses the rules in
    /var/db/spamassassin//updates_spamassassin_org plus
    /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin.

    --
    Michael Scheidell, CTO
    >|SECNAP Network Security

    Winner 2008 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
    FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer

    For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

  4. Re: sa-update and location of rules

    Michael Scheidell wrote:

    >> running FreeBSD I have two directories with rules in it:
    >>
    >> /usr/local/share/spamassassin
    >> /var/db/spamassassin/3.002005/updates_spamassassin_org
    >>
    >> Which is the correct directory, which rules are used?

    > SpamAssassin will use the default, distributed rules in
    > /usr/local/share/spamassassin plus /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin UNTIL
    > YOU RUN SA-UPDATE.
    >
    > Then it uses the rules in
    > /var/db/spamassassin//updates_spamassassin_org plus
    > /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin.

    So /var/db/spamassassin//updates_spamassassin_org has precedence
    over /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin? Some kind of version checking or
    rather the existence of the rules file? What happens if
    /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin contains obsolete rules?

    I'm running amavisd chroot'ed, 'cp -rp /var/db/spamassassin
    /var/amavisd/var/db' is all I need to do?

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  5. Re: sa-update and location of rules

    On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:42:41AM +0200, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > So /var/db/spamassassin//updates_spamassassin_org has precedence
    > over /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin? Some kind of version checking or
    > rather the existence of the rules file? What happens if
    > /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin contains obsolete rules?

    /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin sounds like your like site rules dir, so if
    you have obsolete rules in there you will continue to have them.

    FWIW, the directories and their order are well documented in the spamassassin
    POD.

    --
    Randomly Selected Tagline:
    Welcome to Kyoto -- the anagram lover's Tokyo.

  6. Re: sa-update and location of rules

    "Theo Van Dinter" wrote:
    > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:42:41AM +0200, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> So /var/db/spamassassin//updates_spamassassin_org has precedence
    >> over /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin? Some kind of version checking or
    >> rather the existence of the rules file? What happens if
    >> /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin contains obsolete rules?

    > /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin sounds like your like site rules dir, so
    > if
    > you have obsolete rules in there you will continue to have them.

    Typo, I meant /usr/local/share/spamassassin/

    > FWIW, the directories and their order are well documented in the
    > spamassassin
    > POD.

    Could you please point me to the exact location? Thanks.

  7. Re: sa-update and location of rules

    On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 09:56:49PM +0200, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > >FWIW, the directories and their order are well documented in the
    > >spamassassin
    > >POD.

    > Could you please point me to the exact location? Thanks.

    (you could also use "man")

    $ perldoc spamassassin
    [...]
    CONFIGURATION FILES
    The SpamAssassin rule base, text templates, and rule description
    text are loaded from configuration files.

    Default configuration data is loaded from the first existing
    directory in:

    /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002005
    /usr/share/spamassassin
    [...]

    --
    Randomly Selected Tagline:
    "Variety is the spice of life: one day ignore people, the next day annoy

  8. Re: sa-update and location of rules

    "Theo Van Dinter" wrote:
    > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 09:56:49PM +0200, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> >FWIW, the directories and their order are well documented in the
    >> >spamassassin
    >> >POD.

    >> Could you please point me to the exact location? Thanks.

    > (you could also use "man")
    >
    > $ perldoc spamassassin
    > [...]
    > CONFIGURATION FILES
    > The SpamAssassin rule base, text templates, and rule description
    > text are loaded from configuration files.
    >
    > Default configuration data is loaded from the first existing
    > directory in:
    >
    > /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002005
    > /usr/share/spamassassin
    > [...]