vbounce does not catch qmail bounces - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on vbounce does not catch qmail bounces - SpamAssassin ; ...

  1. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

  2. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

  3. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

  4. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

  5. vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    Just recently backscatter starts to hit me very bad, and I found out
    that bounces generated by qmail are not detected by the vbounce plugin.
    Here is such a backscatter mail:

    http://pastebin.com/m346c7979

    Perhaps a phrase like "wasn't able to deliver your message" could be
    added to the detection. Or very qmail-specific:
    /qmail-send program .{80,140}This is a permanent error/

    Tschau
    Alex

  6. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    >> Just recently backscatter starts to hit me very bad, and I found out
    >> that bounces generated by qmail are not detected by the vbounce
    >> plugin. Here is such a backscatter mail:
    >>
    >> http://pastebin.com/m346c7979
    >>
    >> Perhaps a phrase like "wasn't able to deliver your message" could be
    >> added to the detection. Or very qmail-specific:
    >> /qmail-send program .{80,140}This is a permanent error/

    > it hits (BOUNCE_MESSAGE, ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE) here (3.2.4).
    >

    > did you set the whitelist_bounce_relays directive as documented in
    > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/VBounceRuleset

    Yes I did, and all the other backscatter is detected by vbounce fine:
    whitelist_bounce_relays lxrouter.wombaz.localnet *.prima.de

    But now I saw the Message-Id contained my local mail server name from
    whitelist_bounce_relays:

    The "lxrouter.wombaz.localnet" can only be generated by my system. It is
    the intranet name of my mail server. This leads me to the conclusion
    that qmail doesn't insert a Message-Id and the above was added by my MTA
    (postfix) - and this prohibits the message from being detected as
    backscatter.

    Tschau
    Alex

  7. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    On Thursday 05 June 2008 23:34:42 mouss wrote:
    > the Message-id must be supplied by the MUA.

    RFC 2822 says: "every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field."
    i can't find the addition "except the origin is a pre stoneage qmail server"
    here.
    Well.... it says "SHOULD". So actually your system is supposed to handle a
    non existing message id gracefully and qmail gets away once again.

    --
    best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Arvid Ephraim Picciani

  8. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    On Thu, June 5, 2008 23:34, mouss wrote:

    > stop incriminating qmail. the Message-id must be supplied by the MUA. if
    > postfix adds a missing message-id, then it's a postfix problem, not a
    > qmail problem.

    if qmail, if postfix, maybe he have 2 mta ? :-)

    postfix add mta hostname to message-id if its not valid else it leaves it as is

    Benny Pedersen
    Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

  9. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    On Friday 06 June 2008 00:11:37 mouss wrote:

    > postfix adds missing (mandatory) headers because it works as a
    > submission MTA, because this is how sendmail has always worked. This
    > behaviour is no more desirable for an MX (it is good for an MSA).

    Right now i get your point. I thought you where saying that an MSA shouldnt
    add those either. Obviously if you are the last MX in the chain, adding a
    message id is totally useless. i agree on that.

    --
    best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Arvid Ephraim Picciani

  10. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Arvid Ephraim Picciani wrote:

    > On Thursday 05 June 2008 23:34:42 mouss wrote:
    > > the Message-id must be supplied by the MUA.

    > RFC 2822 says: "every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field."
    > i can't find the addition "except the origin is a pre stoneage qmail server"
    > here.
    > Well.... it says "SHOULD". So actually your system is supposed to handle a
    > non existing message id gracefully and qmail gets away once again.

    However RFC-2821, section 6.3 (Compensating for Irregularities) says
    that the originating SMTP server may add a message-id field when none
    appears. So if qmail is the first SMTP server to fondle the message
    it could/(should?) add a message-id.

    --
    Dave Funk University of Iowa
    College of Engineering

  11. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    At 15:25 05-06-2008, David B Funk wrote:
    >However RFC-2821, section 6.3 (Compensating for Irregularities) says
    >that the originating SMTP server may add a message-id field when none
    >appears. So if qmail is the first SMTP server to fondle the message
    >it could/(should?) add a message-id.

    It's up to the MSA to do that. AFAIK, the author of that software
    does not agree that the message-id should be added.

    Regards,
    -sm

  12. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    >> Yes I did, and all the other backscatter is detected by vbounce fine:
    >> whitelist_bounce_relays lxrouter.wombaz.localnet *.prima.de
    >>
    >> But now I saw the Message-Id contained my local mail server name from
    >> whitelist_bounce_relays:

    >> The "lxrouter.wombaz.localnet" can only be generated by my system. It is
    >> the intranet name of my mail server. This leads me to the conclusion
    >> that qmail doesn't insert a Message-Id

    > stop incriminating qmail. the Message-id must be supplied by the MUA. if
    > postfix adds a missing message-id, then it's a postfix problem, not a
    > qmail problem.

    I have no intention of starting a qmail/postfix/whatever flame war. I
    was not aware that qmail seems to be a delicate subject for some people.
    I simply had a problem with not detecting backscatter.

    For the time being, I solved the problem by removing
    "lxrouter.wombaz.localnet" from whitelist_bounce_relays.
    @prima.de is already always present in my Received: lines,
    since I send all of my mail through their smarthost.

    Tschau
    Alex

  13. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    On Fri, June 6, 2008 14:33, Alex Woick wrote:
    >>> whitelist_bounce_relays lxrouter.wombaz.localnet *.prima.de

    should be ok if its public dns

    postfix add $myhostname here

    > For the time being, I solved the problem by removing
    > "lxrouter.wombaz.localnet" from whitelist_bounce_relays.

    imho this is wroung

    > @prima.de is already always present in my Received: lines,
    > since I send all of my mail through their smarthost.

    postconf -d | grep rewrite

    here is what i do:
    local_header_rewrite_clients = permit_inet_interfaces
    remote_header_rewrite_domain = localhost.junc.org

    when email from outside my inet interfaces have not fqdn i add & rewrite with
    localhost.junc.org with resolves to 127.0.0.1

    if its inside inet interface i add $mydomain

    now that is in place i can score on this fact in spamassassin

    Benny Pedersen
    Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

  14. Re: vbounce does not catch qmail bounces

    Alex Woick writes:
    > Just recently backscatter starts to hit me very bad, and I found out
    > that bounces generated by qmail are not detected by the vbounce plugin.
    > Here is such a backscatter mail:
    >
    > http://pastebin.com/m346c7979

    : jm 5...; ./spamassassin -D -Lt < /home/jm/DL/m346c7979.txt
    Content analysis details: (2.7 points, 5.0 required)

    pts rule name description
    2.5 DATE_IN_PAST_12_24 Date: is 12 to 24 hours before Received: date
    0.0 T_FB_WORD2_END_DOLLAR BODY: Looks like a word ending with a $ (2)
    0.0 T_FB_WORD1_END_DOLLAR BODY: Looks like a word ending with a $
    0.0 T_JM_SOUGHT_1 T_JM_SOUGHT_1
    0.1 BOUNCE_MESSAGE MTA bounce message
    0.1 ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE Message is some kind of bounce message

    looks fine to me.

    --j.

+ Reply to Thread