spamd on a remote server - user_prefs - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on spamd on a remote server - user_prefs - SpamAssassin ; Hi. I'm testing a setup with DirectAdmin boxes and a dedicated spamd box, but so far I've found that spam_required is a global setting and you can't seem to send user_prefs across since they live on the spamc server. Is ...

  1. spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    Hi.
    I'm testing a setup with DirectAdmin boxes and a dedicated spamd box,
    but so far I've found that spam_required is a global setting and you
    can't seem to send user_prefs across since they live on the spamc
    server.

    Is there a workaround for this at all? Can SA be told "Ok, user_prefs
    live on X server" or something?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    Jonathan Nichols wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I'm testing a setup with DirectAdmin boxes and a dedicated spamd box,
    > but so far I've found that spam_required is a global setting and you
    > can't seem to send user_prefs across since they live on the spamc server.
    >
    > Is there a workaround for this at all? Can SA be told "Ok, user_prefs
    > live on X server" or something?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --

    Use a mysql (or other network capable) database to store user prefs.

    Ours works just fine across multiple MX server calling multiple spamd
    servers with a replicated mysql backend.

    Regards,

    Rick

  3. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    On Mon, June 2, 2008 18:57, Rick Macdougall wrote:

    > Use a mysql (or other network capable) database to store user prefs.
    >
    > Ours works just fine across multiple MX server calling multiple spamd
    > servers with a replicated mysql backend.

    just a shame this does not work with amavisd :/

    Benny Pedersen
    Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

  4. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    > On Mon, June 2, 2008 18:57, Rick Macdougall wrote:
    >
    >> Use a mysql (or other network capable) database to store
    >> user prefs.
    >>
    >> Ours works just fine across multiple MX server calling
    >> multiple spamd servers with a replicated mysql backend.

    > just a shame this does not work with amavisd :/

    Works fine. I use amavisd, but I have disabled it's SpamAssassin feature.

  5. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    On Mon, June 2, 2008 22:29, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

    >>> Ours works just fine across multiple MX server calling
    >>> multiple spamd servers with a replicated mysql backend.

    >> just a shame this does not work with amavisd :/

    > Works fine. I use amavisd, but I have disabled it's SpamAssassin feature.

    no, each recipient cant disable a spam rule with amavisd, but that is possible
    with spamc/spamd, so far this is not possible with amavisd

    even change scores pr rules :/

    if yuo found a way to do this with amavisd then please share it

    Benny Pedersen
    Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

  6. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    >>> just a shame this does not work with amavisd :/

    >> Works fine. I use amavisd, but I have disabled it's
    >> SpamAssassin feature.

    > no, each recipient cant disable a spam rule with amavisd,
    > but that is possible with spamc/spamd, so far this is not
    > possible with amavisd
    >
    > even change scores pr rules :/
    >
    > if yuo found a way to do this with amavisd then please
    > share it

    I do it with amavis so, that I disable SA from amavis, and use spamc/spamd instead.

    Still using my amavis for viruses, so I'm all good with amavis ;D

  7. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    On Tue, June 3, 2008 18:10, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

    > I do it with amavis so, that I disable SA from amavis, and use spamc/spamd
    > instead.

    why not get rid of amavis ?

    > Still using my amavis for viruses, so I'm all good with amavis ;D

    use clamsmtp

    but you will soon see that amavis does more then just virus scanning

    Benny Pedersen
    Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

  8. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    > On Tue, June 3, 2008 18:10, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
    >
    >> I do it with amavis so, that I disable SA from amavis,
    >> and use spamc/spamd instead.

    > why not get rid of amavis ?
    >
    >> Still using my amavis for viruses, so I'm all good with
    >> amavis ;D

    > use clamsmtp
    >
    > but you will soon see that amavis does more then just
    > virus scanning

    Ya, it moves email having 8 bit characters in headers to quarantine.

    That's bad.. While it's againts RFC's to put 8 bit characters to headers, many do so. So I have set amavis to pass them thru. Haven't seen much more besides viruses and illegal 8 bit characters.

  9. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    On Tue, June 3, 2008 19:18, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

    > Ya, it moves email having 8 bit characters in headers to quarantine.

    true, but please start a new thread not just reply

    > That's bad.. While it's againts RFC's to put 8 bit characters to headers, many
    > do so. So I have set amavis to pass them thru. Haven't seen much more besides
    > viruses and illegal 8 bit characters.

    most isp and mail admins dont know all rfc's :/

    thats olso why its impractical to reject it in mta

    //offtopic
    same goes for servers that have high secureity with world readelble dirs files
    \\offtopic

    Benny Pedersen
    Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

  10. Re: spamd on a remote server - user_prefs

    On 04.06.08 14:31, Benny Pedersen wrote:
    > most isp and mail admins dont know all rfc's :/

    I't say it's not about mail admins but about developers.

    > thats olso why its impractical to reject it in mta

    Some mailservers can be configured to refuse such mail. And rejecting (or at
    least agerrive scorint) is probably the only way how to fix this behaviour.

    Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.

+ Reply to Thread