Re: Whitelisting via MySQL - SpamAssassin

This is a discussion on Re: Whitelisting via MySQL - SpamAssassin ; On Thu, 29 May 2008, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote: > We use exim as a MTA. But our legit e-mail get tagged as spam. So I > wanted to dump our frequent e-mailers and pump into MySql so they can get > ...

  1. Re: Whitelisting via MySQL

    On Thu, 29 May 2008, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:

    > We use exim as a MTA. But our legit e-mail get tagged as spam. So I
    > wanted to dump our frequent e-mailers and pump into MySql so they can get
    > bypassed. I am using the whitelist_from email command in the local.cf
    > file. and that has over 12K entries . The legit email addresses that I
    > specified are still getting tagged.

    12k whitelisted names?!

    I would suggest that whitelisting is not the solution you want to be
    pursuing quite yet. Do you understand _why_ so many of your legitimate
    correspondents' messages are being scored as "spammy" by SA?

    Would it be possible to post a few representative messages (raw format,
    all headers intact) to a website somewhere so that we can get some idea of
    whether or not the spammy scores are reasonable?

    Also, be aware that whitelist_from is a last resort as the From: address
    is trivially easy to forge.

    > I am still new to SA and Exim. I hope this answer your question , and I
    > do appreciate your response/help .

    Well, _I_ can't personally help you with exim, but somebody else may if
    MTA whitelisting turns out to be an appropriate course of action.

    Have you ever seen a more scarily useless group of people running
    for president? -- Barry@blogspot
    159 days until the Presidential Election

  2. Re: Whitelisting via MySQL

    John

    We kinda figured 12K is alot but we want to ensure that our business is
    not interuppted but spam rejection and etc .

    I will also check w/ the Exim Forums to see what they say.

    Do you have any suggestions on what can we from a SA point.

    Thank you again
    -Jeremy

    On Thu, 29 May 2008, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:

    > We use exim as a MTA. But our legit e-mail get tagged as spam. So I
    > wanted to dump our frequent e-mailers and pump into MySql so they can

    get
    > bypassed. I am using the whitelist_from email command in the local.cf
    > file. and that has over 12K entries . The legit email addresses that I
    > specified are still getting tagged.

    12k whitelisted names?!

    I would suggest that whitelisting is not the solution you want to be
    pursuing quite yet. Do you understand _why_ so many of your legitimate
    correspondents' messages are being scored as "spammy" by SA?

    Would it be possible to post a few representative messages (raw format,
    all headers intact) to a website somewhere so that we can get some idea of

    whether or not the spammy scores are reasonable?

    Also, be aware that whitelist_from is a last resort as the From: address
    is trivially easy to forge.

    > I am still new to SA and Exim. I hope this answer your question , and I
    > do appreciate your response/help .

    Well, _I_ can't personally help you with exim, but somebody else may if
    MTA whitelisting turns out to be an appropriate course of action.

    Have you ever seen a more scarily useless group of people running
    for president? -- Barry@blogspot
    159 days until the Presidential Election

  3. Re: Whitelisting via MySQL

    On Fri, 30 May 2008, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:

    > We kinda figured 12K is alot but we want to ensure that our business is
    > not interuppted but spam rejection and etc .

    Fair enough as a stopgap, but having to put that many whitelist entries in
    says there's a problem with either your scoring or your correspondents.

    > Do you have any suggestions on what can we from a SA point.

    Yes, as I said: try to determine why so many legitimate messages are being
    scored as spam.

    If you can provide us a few samples (including _all_ headers) of false
    positives, we might be able to point out problems in your SA
    configuration.

    Have you ever seen a more scarily useless group of people running
    for president? -- Barry@blogspot
    158 days until the Presidential Election

+ Reply to Thread