Am Montag, 21. April 2008 13:20 schrieb Christoph Petersen:
> Hi Michael,

(...)
> I'm using round robin load balancing from DNS right now. But it's simply
> switching the host every time. What I would like to have a small daemon or
> something which keep track how many processes are running on each node so
> how the load is distributed. In my setup with peaks the load is sometimes
> distributed very unequally.
>
> Can I do something like this with LVS? I didn't play around with LVS yet =

so
> I haven't any experience yet..
>
> BR
> Christoph

Hi,

DNS has an failover time of ~60 secs. Sometimes this is not acceptable.

LVS is just this what you want. In a simple setup LVS cannot measure the=20
actual load (i.e. uptime) of the nodes in the background and distribute new=
=20
connections according to that number. BUT LVS knows about the number of=20
actual connections to every node and can distribute load accoring to the=20
least number of connections. You even can attach weights to the least=20
connections algorithm (wlc).

ldirectord checks every background server for availablility and distributes=
=20
new connctions only to available servers. Failover is measured in seconds,=
=20
not in 10's of seconds.

You can make the whole setup high available with Linux-HA. LVS integrates v=
ery=20
nicely into that framework. See also chapter "Applications" (sorry: German!=
)=20
of:
http://www.oreilly.de/catalog/linuxhaclusterger/

Christoph: For further questions please contact me off-list.

=2D-=20
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH
Addresse: Bretonischer Ring 7; 85630 Grasbrunn; Germany
Tel: +49 - 89 - 45 69 11 0
=46ax: +49 - 89 - 45 69 11 21
mob: +49 - 174 - 343 28 75

mail: misch@multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht M=FCnchen HRB 114375
Gesch=E4ftsf=FChrer: G=FCnter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

=2D--

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42