JasonHirsh wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 23:51 +0200, mouss wrote:
>
>> JasonHirsh wrote:
>>

>>> I do not recall doing two installations. I know I had some problems
>>>

>> with
>>
>>> ports initially (two or three years ago)
>>> But your input solved my SA-Learn problem
>>>

>> you said "ports"? maybe a FreeBSD then? if so
>> # pkg_delete spamassassin
>>

> DO NOT do that, unless you are really positive that the live SA version
> is installed from source, and did not overwrite or share *any* file with
> the one installed by ports.
>
> I still believe the sa-learn that got in the way to NOT be part of SA.
> No SA sa-learn ever hardcoded ~nospam/Maildir/, I believe...

I realized this afterward.

>> But then why not use the ports version instead of installing yours?
>>

> Who said he isn't?
>
> guenther
>
> I believe I am using the ports version, Maybe you know off hand if the
> amavisd-new port automatically installs SA. There is a possibility since I
> used a mix of installation instructions, that IF amavisd installed SA I may
> have installed again after wards.

no, it's not amavisd. must be something that doesn't come with ports.
maybe plesk? (I have no idea as I don't use plesk).
> I have found the realationship between SA and amavisd confusing at best

amavisd-new uses SA code. but amavisd-new also does other things, so you
can run it without SA (such as for virus scanning with clamav).

Think of amavisd-new as a proxy that can use various filters, and one of
these may be SA (but it does not talk to spamd so you don't need set
spamassassin_enable=YES in rc.conf).