----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Funk"
To: "hiram"
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: Upgrading

> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, hiram wrote:
> /Hiram,
> If you are going to administer a Unix system you need to know the basics
> of paths and shells. If you look -CLOSELY- at what Jim wrote you will
> see that it is not the same as what you did.
>
> You did:
> spamassassin restart
>
> Jim said:
> ./spamassassin restart
>
> Note that "./" at the beginning of the command that Jim told you to use.
> If you do not understand the importance of that "./" then you need to do
> some reading to learn about it or you will have problems with more than
> just Spamassasin.
>
> When first encountering Unix little details like that one are easy to
> overlook and and get confusing unexpected results. Once you learn those
> important basic concepts life is easier.
>
> Good luck and understanding.
>

>> Hi Jim!
>>
>> Yep, that's exactly what I meant, I change to directory "/etc/init.d/"
>> and
>> from the root shell prompt "#" I write:
>> spamassassin restart
>> But it seems that it wants to process the file "restart", instead of
>> understanding the option restart.
>>
>> Thanks for your answer,
>>
>> /Hiram
>>

>> Jim Knuth wrote:

> [snip..]
>>> so
>>>
>>> /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
>>>
>>> or so
>>>
>>> cd /etc/init.d/
>>>
>>> ./spamassassin restart
>>>
>>> Linux basics.

> --
> Dave Funk University of Iowa
> College of Engineering
> 319/335-5751 FAX: 319/384-0549 1256 Seamans Center
> Sys_admin/Postmaster/cell_admin Iowa City, IA 52242-1527
> #include
> Better is not better, 'standard' is better. B{

Wow, daily eh!

OK, so here is the thing....

my rules (on FreeBSD 6.3) are kept in

/usr/local/share/spamassassin

when I ran the sa-update, it put them in

/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008/updates_spamassassin_org

so up to this point, I have been cpoying the contents of
"/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008/updates_spamassassin_org" to "
/usr/local/share/spamassassin"

Based on what you guys are telling me, I bet there is some configuration
knob somewhere (to forgo the copying bit) that I am missing .... would
anyone like to take the time to explain?

Writing the cron job to do the update is about 2 seconds work...

-Grant