I run SA on a host-wide basis, so no per user configuration files.

I fire off SA as non-root, yet my maillog keeps filling up with those
messages about root problems, like these:

config: cannot write to /root/.spamassassin/user_prefs: Permission denied

So, I find that if I fire off spamass-milter as non root, those problems go
away. And instead I get these:

spamd: handle_user unable to find user: 'jsmith'

So not sure how I could fix this. Any ideas? Scans fine and all that.