Yves Goergen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have upgraded SpamAssassin from 3.1.8 to 3.2.4 today. First I got
> errors about a "nonexistent" path all the time. Then I added the path
> to the auto_whitelist directory in local.cf. Now I get this error
> message every few seconds:
>
> Apr 4 20:01:36 mond spamd[14283]: auto-whitelist: open of
> auto-whitelist file failed: locker: safe_lock: cannot create lockfile
> /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.mutex: Permission denied

Spamd will never be able to access anything in /root/. 3.1.8 shouldn't
have been able to do so any more than 3.2.4 could, but that might have
been a bug..

If spamd finds itself running as root when it's time to scan mail, it
will setuid itself to nobody for security.

If you're always scanning mail as one user, you can create a
non-privileged user account and pass that after the -u parameter to
either spamd (ie: in your startup script) or to spamc (ie: in your
scan-time calls).

Just remember to su to that user when running sa-learn.

> This time, I couldn't find a solution on the web. Here's the directory
> listing:
>
> 20:35 root@mond ~/.spamassassin > ls -al
> total 516
> drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Apr 4 16:35 ./
> drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 Apr 4 19:03 ../
> -rw------- 1 root root 12288 Apr 4 16:42 auto-whitelist
> -rw------- 1 root root 6 Apr 4 19:03 auto-whitelist.mutex
> -rw------- 1 root root 350 Apr 4 17:42 bayes.mutex
> -rw------- 1 root root 24576 Apr 4 17:42 bayes_seen
> -rw------- 1 root root 647168 Apr 4 17:42 bayes_toks
>
> What's the problem? Before the upgrade, I removed all traces from SA
> on the system (locate & rm -rf).

That was probably unnecessary.. SA will blow itself away if it's already
present when you go to install it. The only time you run into trouble is
if you change the PREFIX, and end up with one installed in /usr/ and the
other in /usr/local.

> It was previously installed through CPAN. But I don't think that CPAN
> is that "comprehensive" at all and decided not to use it again where I
> can. This SA was installed from the tarball. The /root/.spamassassin
> directory was created automatically then.
>
> So if it doesn't work out of the box, what can I do next?

Don't use root with spamd