I'm having a similar problem with understanding SpamAssassin scores and
rules. I have searched and searched for specific explanations of them, but
have had very little luck. The links you provided are a start, but there is
no real explanation for people trying to code emails and eNewsletters. For
instance, what exactly does:

0.8 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_12 BODY: HTML: images with 1000-1200 bytes of words

mean? That the images in the email are too large? That they have too much
text in them? That their alt tags are too long?

Another rule I found confusing was:

0.4 HTML_60_70 BODY: Message is 60% to 70% HTML
versus
0.9 HTML_40_50 BODY: Message is 40% to 50% HTML

I cleaned up an email template for a client, so the code was more
streamlined and had less HTML (keeping the same amount of images), but
strangely this got a higher score.

Does anyone know of a more indepth guide to understanding scores and rules?

Thanks!
Eve