I'm using the spamass-milter 0.3.1. I searched in the milter's man-page
for a command to specify the timeout but didn't find anything. I also
had a look at the options that are possible to set when executing the
../ before starting "make" and "make install" but... nothing
to set here. Could you suggest another milter for sendmail and
spamassassin that is able to configure in that way?

am 11.03.2008 17:26 schrieb David B Funk:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Sebastian Hoffmann wrote:
>> This was why I postet the settings from the sendmail-milter:
>> "INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',
>> S=local:/var/spamd/spamass-milter.sock,
>> F=,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
>> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',
>> S=local:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.socket,
>> F=,T=S:4m;R:4mī)
>> dnl define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clmilter,spamassassin,clmilter') "
>> All timeouts here are set in minutes for the milter, not in seconds, or
>> even a setting with ":10s". I thought that these were the settings for
>> the milter, arent't they?
>> Does anybody know where I can increse an value that seemes to be set to
>> 10 seconds by default? I don't know where to start...

> [snip..]
> The timeout parameters in your sendmail .mc/.cf file are for the
> communications from sendmail -to- the milter daemon. There is another
> conversation that is going on between the milter daemon and spamd.
> (IE sendmail passes the message to the milter daemon, the milter daemon
> passes it on to spamd, spamd processes the message and replies to the
> milter daemon, the milter daemon then reports back to sendmail).
> So it looks like your milter daemon has a short (10s) timeout for when
> -it- talks to spamd, so if spamd takes more than 10s to process the
> message and reply back to the milter daemon, the milter daemon declares
> spamd to be non-responding and errors out. (that's an unrealisticly short
> timeout).
> So you need to look at the configuration of the milter daemon to see how
> to change its timeouts. That may be a config option or may be hardcoded
> inside the milter.
> Which specific milter are you using? Do you have the source code for it?

fn:Sebastian Hoffmann
org:Pallas Group GmbH;IT / Programmierung
adr:;;Auf dem Esch 8;Diepholz;;49356;Deutschland