--------------000802000108050800030009

Jason Haar wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Never mind - my fault. I don't think it was spamhaus but a screwed up
>> DNS server.
>>

> Care to share? I'm a bit concerned a "screwed up" DNS server could cause
> RBL software to start declaring IP addresses were blacklisted. How did
> that happen?

Kind of a bizzare set of circumstances. Last my my colo provider screwed
up their routers. It created a situation where some ove my boxes weren't
accessable by other boxed. The caching DNS servers we not accessable to
the email serrves so they had no DNS. I decided to point the
/etc/resolv.conf file to opendns.org's DNS servers and it does some
tricky things and what it returned caching for spamhaus isn't what I
think spamhaus was sending. They were making consumer friendly responses
to point not founds to their search engine.

It was a decision during a crisis and it turned out to have inintended
consequences.