From: "Phil Barnett"
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Yet Another Ninja wrote:
>> >
>> > How about releasing the ruleset via torrent or something similar.
>> > Anything that you could do to distribute the load and location would
>> > make
>> > a ddos attack less effective. While there might not be a lot of people
>> > on
>> > this list who can use their server to take on the entire DDOS for you,
>> > there are a LOT of servers here that could participate in a pool.
>> >
>> > Maybe a DNS round robin?
>> >
>> > Just some ideas.

>> hey
>>
>> great ideas - who volunteers to setup the Torrent stuff and manage it all
>> ?

> Thinking further, torrent is not exactly what is needed. Torrents need to
> be
> reseeded for every change, so that's a maintenance nightmare. RSS has some
> of
> the pieces, but i'm not sure if it can be just a file delivery method.
> rsync
> has obvious benefist in reducing bandwidth, but doesn't have any security
> built into it.
>
> I think some brainstorming to come up with a peer distributed subscription
> service is the starting point. If there isn't one, that's the next battle.
>
> We can't be the first people to come up against this problem. How have
> others > solved it?

If the file already exists:
/usr/bin/wget -r -l 1 -nd -N "$source$file"
else
/usr/bin/wget -l 1 -nd -N "$source$file"

"source" is the host URL directory eg. http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/
"file" is the file eg. 88_FVGT_subject.cf

Several times in the last day or so - nary a problem if I have that silly
one second delay in there between files.

{o.o}