jdow wrote:
> From: "Daryl C. W. O'Shea"

>>> Hum. I just tried again, and didn't have any problems this time either.
>>> Guess I'm lucky.

>> Perhaps you are. I get "500 Server closed connection without sending
>> any data back" or "500 Can't connect to www.rulesemporium.com:80
>> (connect: timeout)" at least once an hour out of three queries an hour.

> Daryl, I've tried before to tell you and other people RDJ is broken.

Actually, you've not, and if you did it would be a waste of time given
that I don't use RDJ and actually provide the sa-update channels for
SARE rules.

> Put
> a 1 second sleep between each file fetch and see if that improves things.

If you weren't in a hurry to make 3 posts about the same thing to the
same thread, you'd see that I wrote that I'm seeing the timeout in 1 (or
more) of ONLY THREE QUERIES AN **HOUR**. I've already got a 20 minute
delay between queries. I'll try adding a 1 second delay to that though.

> It keeps you from looking like a DoS attack.
>
> Since I put that hack in my GetRule.sh script has never failed me.

As has been noted already, by Dallas, it's a problem with at least one
of their network links being saturated by the DoS, not the DoS protection.

Daryl