I'm clearly only just approcahing the bottom of the nursery slopes of this
learning curve...

1
I installed SA using apt-get install spamassassin on a Liux (?Debian?)
server, running procmail.
That's given me version 3.0.3. I'm reluctant to risk breaking things. Can
I easily upgrade to something more current? (TOLD you I was on the nursery
slopes...)

2
All the defaults seem to be hugely high. All of my spam is coming in with
scores of about 1.2 and up. Oddly, all the false positives tend to be over
2.0; anyting between 1.3 and 1.9 is almost inevitably spam. I'm clearly
missing a trick here.

3
I wrote some rules in my local.cf file - and they seemed to work just fine.
Then they all seemed to stop. Nothing I add to that file seems to have any
effect at all - even a line such as:

body TEST_RULE /e/
score TEST_RULE 0.01

I reckon that ought to trigger for every message with an "e" in it - but it
doesn't.
What did I break?