Hi,

from the mailscanner page:
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.ph...diff1162335096

Dccifd(8) is similar to dccproc but is not run separately for each mail
message and so is far more efficient. It receives mail messages via a
socket somewhat like dccm, but with a simpler protocol that can be used
by Perl scripts or other programs.

Vernon Schryver

dccproc involves a fork() and exec() and then sending the message through
a pipe to the child process and receiving the answer.
dccifd need only send the message over UNIX domain socket to a daemon
and receiving the answer.

Dccproc must open, validate, and mmap() the whiteclnt and whiteclnt.dccw
files, while dccifd caches open files and mmap() regions.
Dccproc also creates creates a socket to talk to the DCC server while
dccifd caches open sockets.

Hopes that answers your question ... so if you have a smal mail gw ... I
dont see the point in running the daemon, if there are plenty of resources.

// ouT