Tony Houghton wrote:
> SA used to kill a different router I used to have, but I don't think
> that's the problem here.

I don't see how even a low end router would have a problem with the
amount of data from DNS lookups that could be generated. It must have
been something else.

> I temporarily pointed /etc/resolv.conf to my ISP's servers and
> restarted spamd, which you'd expect to make at least some
> difference, but it didn't really. Besides, I can still freely browse
> the web etc while SA is stalled on these lookups.

You might want to try out one of the RBL check tools.

http://rblcheck.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Basically 'rblcheck 208.77.188.166' and see how long that takes. It
is very similar to what SA would be doing internally. If that is slow
then you have a smaller problem to debug. If that is fast then SA's
dsn lookup is probably not your problem and you can look at other
things that might be running slowly.

Bob