In <6.2.5.6.2.20070706160211.02b47140@resistor.net>, SM wrote:

> Hi Tony,
> At 15:01 06-07-2007, Tony Houghton wrote:
> >I just use the one built in to my ADSL router; I don't know whether it
> >caches. The one it forwards to at my ISP is probably bind.

> The DNS server on your ADSL router is built for residential
> usage. If you are going to do a lot of DNS queries, for example with
> SpamAssassin, it is better to run a DNS server on the same computer
> as SpamAssassin.

SA used to kill a different router I used to have, but I don't think
that's the problem here. I temporarily pointed /etc/resolv.conf to my
ISP's servers and restarted spamd, which you'd expect to make at least
some difference, but it didn't really. Besides, I can still freely
browse the web etc while SA is stalled on these lookups.

I think I'll just have to stop using SA on my own machine :-(. It's
available at my ISP anyway; the only difference is I can't train it or
fine-tune it (which I didn't really do anyway) there.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk